Why do a lot of people hate their exes?

It's hard to believe that someone could hate someone that they had once cared about so much.

2119

Most Helpful Guy

• I tried not too, but:
    -She had been flirting around a lot with another guy behind my back for a month and left me for him, literally dating him in like 3 days after she broke up.
    -She broke up with me by phone, it was all my fault according to her. Even when I tried to explain, "but you said x, y, and z are what you wanted" she'd make some excuse.
    -Her goal was to change me during the relationship, yes she said that herself when she broke up with me.
    -She whored her new boyfriend out on social media, I didn't get a fraction of the attention in 6 months on her profiles as the guy got in 2 weeks. Also, "Happy two week anniversary! I love you!" made me realize how immature she was when she posted that.
    -She told everyone in my high school that I assaulted her, which was a lie.
    -She is now trying to talk to me after her last 3 boyfriends didn't work out in the past year and a half and she's now lonely. I'm having none of it.

Most Helpful Girl

• It's not hard to believe when two people let a relationship rot. In the end, two people may despise each other because they were too immature to be in love (that's actually a thing I believe in). What I mean by that is (everyone matures at their own pace so the age varies from person to person) a romantic relationship between two people will only be happy and successful and healthy when they've gone through certain things and learned about themselves, how to *actually* be more selfless, and to prioritize and care for your partner's happiness and health, etc.

Relationships require strenuous work sometimes. Sometimes it's not handled well or two people don't meet halfway or whatever the case is, and the relationship rots like an unwatered plant and the two people may end up disliking each other because they channel their hurt relationship (hurt feelings) and emptiness to their partner.