Ex-friend gifted me a car 2 years ago and now wants it back and its taking me to civil court! shall I worry? help?

we had a fall out due to his alcoholic drunken outburts he has been my friend forever and now we are no longers friends and he wants to reposess the car or the money "10k", he has relocated from NY to LA to come here and stalk me and take me to court, does he have a chance, yes the car and everything is under my name!!

57

Most Helpful Guy

• The car is in your name. That means it's legally yours. I assume there is no lien on it. I assume he does not have a written contract saying you owe payments on it. He can't "reposes" a car that was fully transferred to you. I think a judge would throw that out in about 30 seconds.

When he gave you the car, was there ever anything said about it being a loan, or he expected it back? Even if there was some kind of oral agreement, it would be your word against his. The car title is a legal document which will over ride anything else that doesn't have proof.

If he follows through with this (which I doubt), make sure you take all paperwork to court. Get organized and write everything down that you think might be pertinent. You don't want to be tripped up in court because of an unexpected question that you don't know the answer to.

Most Helpful Girl

• .../Yes, the car and everything is under my name...
    Move on, forget this penny annie wing ding thing. Tell him unless he wants a ride in the front seat of your car, he needs to Go... Bye bye, this pie eyed.
    No chance, he is wasting her time. Even if you go to Court, the judge will Say "Dismissed."
    Good luck. xx

What Guys Said 6

• Not necessarily no, but if he hires a really good daymn lawyer, it's plausible

• I don't know New York laws but I think you are good since it was a gift. Some or most states do not allow the return of a gift.

• If it is under your name than no he can not take it back. Even if he gifted you he should not take it that is immoral. He shouldn't be doing this. It is illegal in every jurisdiction European and Middle Eastern.

• Short answer, no. Unless there was a written contract of some sort.

• If the car is in your name and you pay car insurance , if your going to court with him make sure to have legal aid attorney or someone to represent you , it sounds like he got more than a drinking problem it sounds like also drug related too and you need to also file charges of harassment by communications against him , what he is doing is form of harassment and he could go to jail but if you own the car he can't take the car unless your in default of making payments on the car to him if that's what your doing , he can not take back a gift he gave to you, i hate to tell you this but worst comes to it tell the courts he made you give him sex acts in exchange for the car or he was going kill you

• Don't sweat it let him take you to court.

What Girls Said 4

• Not a hope in hell, NY or LA. Happy driving 😊

• Is there a contract stating that he has a claim to the car? Or that you owe him money for it? If not, he has no legal right to it.

• under your name? then what can he do?

• can't take it back if it was a gift.