How do you get over an ex?

Simply put.. when a girl or guy breaks up with you. How do you get over them? cause usually you either want them back, want closure, still have feelings for them, wonder how they feel about you, etc.. so how do you get over them? I mean, I know it sounds so cliche.. but even when you want your ex back.. you have NO chance of getting back with them until you get over them... and to be with anyone else.. you need to get over your ex as well.

24

Most Helpful Girl

• Literally did the whole 'out of sight, out of mind' approach and kept busy. I was sad for a while, and you can't help but to think of them and mope about the relationship and stuff... but I found that once i started working more, going out more, and keeping myself occupied, I thought of him less. More or less, I think I was suppressing my feelings, because I still play on the same intramural team as him... so after 4 months of no contact... I see him once a week now and it's kinda terrible. But I'm getting over it, and to top it off I recently made out with a guy from the bar and that has occupied my mind a lot more than my ex in the last week or so. I think you just need to get out, do more things, see more people... and ultimately time will heal ya!

Most Helpful Guy

• I start by discarding all of my possessions that remind me of her, including gifts from her, pictures of her... Anything associated with her... And of course deleting her from social media, deleting text messages, emails, phone numbers... In essence, I take every measure to erase her from my life... out of sight... Easier to get out of the mind.
    It's like a bug bite... But the more you scratch the more it will become inflamed and itch even worse... but at first, you can't resist so you scratch the hell out of it making a bloody mess... Then you decide, "well that wasn't good for me"... So you decide to resist the temptation to itch and leave it alone to heal instead of making it worse by picking at the scabs... Yup... It'll leave a little scar, but the itching will stop and the wound will heal.
    I have felt this many times in my life... It never gets less painful, but it does get easier and the healing process quicker... I typically will give myself between 3 and 4 months, sometimes more, or sometimes less.
    The only thing that is for certain from my view, is that there will always be another... And heartache is the risk we take when we decide we want to open ourselves to another.
    Trying to salvage a damaged relationship is like trying to salvage a plate of pancakes that fell into a dirty kitty litter box, by the time you pick off all of the debris, it may look edible but you know where it's been and it will taste like pissed on shit no matter how much syrup you pour on top of it.
    Sometimes, you won't get the kind of resolve that you're looking for, And you won't be able to understand why it didn't work out, and yes... You may still have feelings for her because you're a human with a heart... But in cases like this, there's no other option but to sink or swim.
    In the end, it doesn't matter whose fault it was, all that matters is that you are able to pick up the pieces and move on with your life.
    Personally, I focus on refocusing my thoughts... Everytime I think of her, I turn away and think of something else.
    Yes, this takes mind control... But there's only one person responsible for your mind... Redirect your thoughts away from the souce of the itch, keep yourself busy and entertain your mind with positive thoughts and ideas... If you do this, the healing process and the time it will take for you to heal will be much less than if you continue to scratch on that itch... This is the voice of experience.

What Girls Said 1

• I don't contact them at all
    I try to keep my mind off it as much as possible
    Time plays the rest out

What Guys Said 3

• Honestly, the only thing that will allow you to get over your ex is time, and you.

Time can mend most wounds - literally and figuratively. Over time, as you go on with life, you'll notice you think about them less and less. And depending how you go on with your life will determine how long it will take you to get over your ex. If you sit at home, moping around about it, thinking about it, dwelling on it, then it's going to take a long time.

But, if you take a deep breath, go out, meet new people, work extra hours, take up a hobby, or anything else that will keep your mind off of it, you'll likely notice the thoughts of her going away much quicker.

There's no 'magical formula' to getting over someone. You just have to accept that it happened, grieve for a moment, but then move on. Time will do the rest.

Hope this helps, man. I know how ya' feel and it can suck so bad, especially at first.

• i recently broke up with my girlfriend of 9 months. to get over her this is what i did, in this order.
    I watched the movie American sniper and i realized that we live in a fake fairy tail reality. then I went out to lunch and dinner with friends and met new girls and started going to the gym to get in shape. there are so many better girls out there for you, go get em!

• Time and distraction.