Do you need to know everything about someone's past?

Title says it all.

K. Thanks

- Harvey D

91

Most Helpful Girl

What Girls Said 8

• Well, it would be helpful to know if they are felons, gold-diggers (male and female), married or do sick things to animals. Other than that, you don't need every detail, but you do need to know you can discuss anything openly and honestly.

• No. You only want to know what he/ she is like the moment they are with you. Look forward, not backwards.

• well I don't really care about someones past if they don't want my to. the way I look at it is the past is the past, people really can change. and so what if they been to jail or done something that there ashamed of, they already paid the price of what they done so just forget about it.sorry to offend anyone by this but its what I think.

• I do, and it's wrong to want to know everything about someones past but I think it's down to my jealousy.

• no I don't think so , I mean I don't what to know everything my boyfriend has done since he was born but I do like to know most things about him tbh

• Not everything, but I do need to know if he's ever cheated on ex girlfriends, how many, and if he has ever hit a girl in any way. I can sum up if I want to make something more with the guy from the start with just that info.

• No, but I want to know the important things. I don't care about his family or his past relationships or anything. But if he's ever been in jail, or rehab or whatever, then I need to know.

• Well...those things might not be a deal breaker, but they're important. Like, if he was ever in jail, I need to know what it was for (murder? protest?, etc) and rehab, that's important to the relationship long term.

• O that's for sure.

• Yes. Just so you know what to expect behavior wise and like everything else. Not to bust her out on things she has done or CONSTANTLY remind her of her past and things that annoyed you then cause the past is hers and does not have you in it, so you can't make it your business later on in the relationship. Its just that you understand her personality and what her experiences are, to help your relationship grow, If you are going to use her past as a tool against her, then I don't advise you to ask her about her past and just live for now and let it go. Gl, Hope this helped.

What Guys Said 1

• NO!

if you want a good relationship with little bumps on the way...

its best to forget her past... you might compare yourself to her ex-boyfriends and try something stupid...and you might even hurt her by reminding her about something she doesn't like...

knowing which high skl she went to ...or who was her best friend is okay...so small things are okay...but don't try to start a conversation on past relationships because it is a big turn off for a girl...and it might offend her..and it might hurt you emotionally as well...

so all in all...try not to know EVERTHING...if she tells you or asks you about something to start a conversation about the past its okay...its okay ONLY WHEN SHE INITIATES THE CONVERSATION FIRST!...(incase you are talking about past relationships)...

try not to talk to her about her recent ex unless you find something rEAAAALLLy fishy...

so NO, you don't have to know everything about a persons past