Why is being single so depressing?

😥

632

Most Helpful Guy

• Because you haven't figured out the best way to deal with being single.
    I'm single, and have been this way for many years now, and it sucked, but then I started focusing on myself and on the casual lifestyle, and I actually like it. Sure, sometimes I wish I could have someone I'm close to, but since it's not gonna happen anytime soon I'll just enjoy being with whoever I want.
    This may not work for you, but it works for me.

What Guys Said 31

• The fact of being single isn't necessarily depressing, but the depressing part comes when you realize you don't want to be single and you want to be with someone.

Singleness doesn't create depression. Loneliness creates depression.

It should also be noted that it is ok to be single. You are 17. Even if you have never had a relationship before, it is alright. Don't push yourself (from desperation) into something that wasn't going to work from the start. That'll lead to regret and will hurt more later on. Hell I'm 19 and always have been single. It has led to some sad moments in my life, but I'm working on it. What's kept me going is hope in the future.

What can you do about it if you are single and depressed? First off, you need to find hope. Don't subject yourself to thoughts of "I'll never find someone" or whatever. If you tell yourself that you have no chance, you'll stop looking yourself for oppurtunities. Then you'll always be single and sad.
    Second, you can work towards a relationship that you want. You can do this in two ways. The first is by pursuing people (girls can ask guys out too y'know!). Many guys will only pursue a girl if they feel they have a shot. So even if you don't ask a guy directly, hinting the guy that he has a shot with you will increase your chances exponentially. The second way towards a relationship is to improve yourself. Confidence, smiles, talking/meeting people, no more put downs on yourself, and letting your natural beauty shine. Think happy thoughts and try your best. Don't let temporary singleness make you think you'll never find someone! Keep up the hope!

• I should also make a case in case that you have been with someone and just got hurt from the relationship:
      Realize that you are 17. Most 17 year olds aren't looking for a long term and meaningful relationship. Probably some don't really understand in entirety what that entails. It will be very difficult to get a stable and long term relationship from it.

If it hurts, it is alright. Have some cries over it, and move on. There are better and more fish in the sea. The break up probably happened for a reason, whatever that reason may be.

The point is, since you are 17, you still have many years left to find love. When you find someone that truly clicks, you'll totally forget the past experiences with guys that didn't.
      Just have your moment of grief and move on. That is the best thing you can do.

• This guys makes sense, i'm 22 (nearly 23) and although i've had dates, i've never had a relationship

• I don't know. I think it is because everyone wants that person in their life that loves them in that way a boyfriend or girlfriend does. I feel so depressed to and sick of being single.

• Your attractive as shit, and your profile says ''Just broke up''..

Clearly shit isn't all bad for you... You could get a relationship within an hour if you tried...

Could be worse, You could be a ugly middle aged virgin? yeah... exactly...

Shit ain't so bad all of a sudden is it.

• boo hoo, crocodile attention seeking tears.

• Being single is not depressing; you have a lot of freedom to move about, change careers, save money, travel, and independence to do as you please.

• Because Society puts way too much pressure on people to find love. Honestly it should work in reverse. Find happiness with yourself then find love if something is missing.

• I just think about the money I'm saving! :D

• Well, it does suck and depress me to be single the reason cause i love to feel a girl laying in my arms cuddling just makes me feel so good inside knowing I'm able to love someone in that way.

• simple

No sex
    no kissing
    no intimate company

and pretty much having a partner is a basic human need

• Well, you can have friends with benefits and casual dates, but for the ones that dont have anything it can make you feel really bad...

It sucks a lot.

• It's only depressing if you think about it.

• You think it's depressing? Try being single and being scared to get in a relationship at the same time and see what depressing really means.

• Cause you are not used to living with other conditions.
    Single life can be cool, at least you don't get the drama (happens in some relationships)

• Because we don't have anyone to hold :'(

• i don't think its depressing. being single is awesome.

• It's not really. And you never know what's around the corner when you least expect :D

• It is not depressing. Loneliness is. Having friends you can goof off with is faaar better for your mental well being than being in a relationship

• Well look no further cuz im alrdy right here infront of u ma HAWT blondie 😚

• Probably because you don't love yourself enough!

• Its not...

• not to me, i have always been and hopefully always will be lol

• Go out with someone then. It's easy for girls.

• It shouldn't be, and that's what you should fix before you should be in a relationship.

• Being single is not depressing, wanting to be with someone can be.

• I don't think being single is depressing at all. The more you look to yourself for happiness and meaning in your life, the happier your life will be, whether you're in a relationship or not.

• Only because you have no feelings of self-worth. Get some by doing cool shit.

• Because you seek validation from men?

• Because you miss having someone to be around, to talk to, touch, that sort of thing. Especially when you don't have brothers sisters, and your friends are always working. And when you don't have close family around and your parents are always working or sleeping

• And not working yourself, or going to school

• Sorry bit of a rant there

• I usually love being single... but my ex broke up with me like 3 weeks ago.. and I hate it... I guess I just want her back.. but I don't think it will happen any time soon

• Because brain chemistry

• More from Guys
    1

What Girls Said 6

• Depressing? O_o I'm single too and feel very content with it, thank you very much.
    Just because you see people with partners acting all lovey dovey with each other, don't mean that you HAVE to be doing the same thing as them. The time hasn't come for you, so what? Enjoy this moment.

• It makes you feel unloved and empty.

Like something is wrong with you that nobody cares about your life or what you do. Nobody wants to share their life with yours.

• Maybe it is the feeling that not having someone that thinks you are beautiful, that loves you, that adores you.

• It isn't, you're obviously just to focused on that one aspect of your life

• it's what you make of it

• I've been single all my life so can it