What would you do if the person you were dating threatened to break up when they didn't get what they want?

Why do people do this? Is it because they really want to leave and just want a convienient excuse? Or are they spoiled brats trying to get their way? Have you dealt with this if so what did you do?

1210

Most Helpful Guy

• I have and smile wave, see ya. I'm not going to chase her (in my situation) I am not going sit up there and go broke or go out of my way for her to get what she want, especially since she don't return the favor.
    The root of it all is there mentality. They either refuse to grow up or are stuck on stupid. After that you have to take a look at there maturity level. It speaks for itself when situation like this comes up. What do is try to tell them that this ain't cool. Give them a chance to change there ways. Since we're adults I'll give them a choice. Change there ways or you leave me now. If chose the 1st one. Okay then you got less than a week. If its second one. BYE!! Get over it after a week and that's that.

Most Helpful Girl

• I would respond with something along the lines like "Alrighty, let me make it easier for you. We're done."

Threatening to break up for simply not getting what you want is pure manipulation. You are right when you suggest that the person is just trying to get their way by toying with someone else's feelings. I won't tolerate that. It will create an unhealthy, uncomfortable relationship and slowly deteriorate a nourishing dynamic. I'd rather have no relationship at all than have a relationship like that. Maybe when they're ready to stop playing games, I'll consider giving it another try.

What Guys Said 9

• haven't dealt with it, but if they threatened me I'd just let it fucking happen nonchalantly, cause that's fucking stupid.

• I guess it depends on the issue. If it was a serious relationship problem, then of course I'll listen. Maybe there's a pattern of something that I'm not aware of? It's possible.

If it was something ridiculous, though, then I'd probably laugh and tell her she can show herself out. Stuff like that makes me go the other direction, and it can happen really fast. I am not aa fan of drama at all.

• i'd figured they are immature and would break up with them

• I'd break up with them!
    No but seriously I'd talk it out with them. It's childish and immature to resort to having to threaten your relationship but if there's a problem then you both need to discuss it

• I would no longer be with such a person. I don't do the ultimatum bullshit. It's supposed to be a relationship not a war.

• Bye then! ahahaha

• Break up with them. Relationships should have to include extortion

• move on, I don't know. what else can you do? a lame like that ain't worth it

• Dump them and start dating adults

What Girls Said 11

• If you mean in the way of Sex, @pr3ttybr0wn Yes, I agree, a hissy fit and if so, you certainly deserve better than this.
    Of course, it can always be a lame duck excuse for not wanting to be hooked at the hip as a Date mate, but either way, tell him Goodbye and to have a nice day.
    Good luck. x

• I would be tempted to save him the trouble and do it myself...

Realistically though, I would discuss whatever the issue is and try to come to some middle ground. I'd also make it clear that ultimatums aren't going to work in a relationship with me. He'll have to just break up with me if that's the path he wants to take. Otherwise, if he wants something, we can talk about it like emotionally mature adults rather than resorting to threats.

• It could be either, actually. But that does not make it ok. In the past when this has happened, I did what I needed to fix things to change their mind, but now that I'm older, I would definitely stand my ground politely, and let them make their choice. It's not ok to try to manipulate someone into doing what you want them to do, and it's not ok to threaten your significant other, in any way, shape, or form.

Good luck girl!

• Then I'd break up with them. Clearly if they're going to throw their toys out the pram and threaten that because they didn't get what they want, they're too childish to be in the relationship I want.

• That's so childish omg.
    I would probably just tell them to feel free to break up with me depending on what it is they want in such a situation. Chances are, I'd be better off without them anyways.

• If they threaten to break up like that, then I'd let them leave. I don't need that childish crap.

• i think i'd just breakup

• It would actually be one of the perfect day in my life I don't have to deal with someone childish and manipulative. I have no time for threats. They want to break up, good. I can show him the door.

• I guess it depends on what they want.

• I would just let em go I wouldn't let someone hold something like that over me it's childish for one and sounds to me a bit controlling...

• I would be done! You don't threaten that unless you want it. Period I wouldn't want to be with someone who could throw everything away so easily. NEXT!!