Was it mean to break up with my boyfriend because he looks way too young?

So I recently broke up with my boyfriend who I've been going out with for a couple years. It was an average relationship, and he was okay, but I honestly just wasn't physically attracted to him anymore. He has major babyface, and although he is a couple years older than me he honestly looks like a 16 year old. It's kind of embarrassing when everyone always thinks your boyfriend is your little brother lol. It was fine when we first got together, but as I got older I started wanting someone who looks mature. Plus I've gotten more mature myself. I really hope I don't sound like a bitch. I see no point in being in a relationship with someone I'm just not attracted to anymore. He was bummed but he'll be okay. Of course I never told him the reason I broke it off was because I wanted a man, not a little boy in diapers. Please help me take the guilt off my shoulders.

45

Most Helpful Guy

• Some guys like girls with red hair. They never thought about it and decided that they wanted to be attracted to redheads; it is just what turns them on. Some women are only attracted to tall men; it wasn't a choice that they made. Guys who are attracted to children don't take a pause in their lives and make a conscious decision to be a pedophile (and I am not defending pedophiles at all; I'm just saying that they did not choose to have those impulses and attractions.) I am attracted to women with small breasts; I don't remember ever deciding that this is the way I wanted to be.

If you are not attracted to your boyfriend, after being with him a few years, I find that a bit strange. . . but I accept your statement as being the truth. Breaking up with him after a few years, for something that is not his fault, and which does not represent a change in him, is awful. He must feel like a class A victim of life's unfairness, and I have compassion for him.

The only thing worse than you breaking up with him would be you staying with him. He has done nothing wrong and he deserves to have a woman who loves him. If you are not even attracted to him, you cannot love him in the way that he deserves to be loved, so breaking up is the most humane thing to do.

The circumstances did not present you with any good options. You should feel badly about what happened because it is sad, but you should not feel responsible or guilt about it.

Most Helpful Girl

• ... I see no point in being in a relationship with someone I'm just not attracted to anymore.
    Allow Me, this wise ol owl, to take some of the baby burden off your shoulders here, dear. I find you are this Honest Jane in Openly Admitting all of this, and not only That, very Mature in breaking it off, rather than continue to Pretend By... Pulling it off.
    Good luck. xx

What Guys Said 4

• I don't think your reason is wrong, I wouldn't date someone I'm not attracted to, I tried and it was a huge mistake.
    But I do think your attitude does make you sound like a bitch, I mean, you can just say you don't like the fact he looks younger than his real age, and don't say "I wanted a man, not a little boy in diapers", calling him a little boy in diapers was unnecessary, you're devaluing him just because you're not attracted to him anymore... I think you actually did him a favor by breaking up, your attitude sucks.

• That's a REALLY lame reason to break up with someone, but then again, no one is OBLIGED to keep dating someone they are not attracted to. You did him a favour though, because he is now free to seek someone else who may value him for who he is.

• "Plus I've gotten more mature myself."

Maybe physically you have certainly not mentally. One day you maturing for your body will turn into a curse and what he has will be a blessing and it'll remain that way for both of you until death. You have guilt for a reason.

• The fact that you were embarrassed actually means you're pretty immature, but no, you have no obligation to continue dating someone you're not attracted to

What Girls Said 3

• WELL I think you not only broke up with him because of his looks, but you just weren't feeling it anymore, it's okay to break up with someone for any reason you think. No one can tell you how to feel except yourself. There isn't a "good enough" reason, there's just reasons! Don't be afraid to say you have a preference because we all do!

• If you loved him that wouldn't have mattered clearly you didn't fully love him so yes it was the right thing and honestly like I said that's probably not why you broke things off, yes on the surface but underlying there was something missing dont you think!!

• Well a person face won't show their maturity. Its their actions that show how mature they truly are. But if you aren't simply attracted to him then its ok to move on so that you won't hurt each other.