I just deleted thousands of messages from my ex, and even though I know it's for the best, it still feels like I deleted a huge part of me?

We were in a LDR for a while, so we communicated through Google Hangouts a lot.. Well, now that our relationship is over and I'm trying to move on, I decided to delete literal pages of conversations.

Did I do the right thing? It's really like deleting a bunch of memories. I can't stop crying. But he told me he doesn't love me anymore so I need to move on.

35

Most Helpful Guy

• Of course I don't know either of you, but I doubt he actually meant what he said.

Second, it's not a great idea to delete any kind of personal correspondence. If you feel it's sensitive or emotionally too powerful, you can compress it all into a password-protected RAR file or something and let it sit on a little flash drive someplace. . . then delete it years down the line if it still seems like the right idea.

Sorry you're experiencing that pain. Take care of yourself.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yup so otherwise you'll fall back on reading them and feel despair all over again, dont put urself through that, if he doesn't love you any more move on. You can't sit there hoping hell come back or if there is anything you could have done, you can't force someone to be in love with you, and if he loved you he wouldn't have left

What Guys Said 4

• yes you did the right thing, you know why? you now have more room to add new memories, better memories.

• If that is necessary for you to move forward, then it was the right thing to do.

• you have dine the right thing, it all helps towards closure as if you had kept them you would have read them again and again and never been able to move on

• You may have deleted your messages but the memories are still in your head. You can think of your brain as your own personal database.

What Girls Said 2

• Breaking up is hard to do... hell in in the process! But it hurts and you feel that way because you kind of did delete someone from your life but for all the right reasons... don't second doubt yourself for doing the right thing. You'll be okay! 💞

• I'm sorry it's hard message me if u need anything