How do you break up with someone gently?

I have been going out with this guy for a couple of weeks now and he is amazing and I really like him but it just isn't working for me. I don't think I should have said yes to him in the first place I just felt mean saying no as he's asked me out before and there was no reason to say no to him as he is really nice, but now I am stuck one of the main reasons I went out with him was that I didn't want to be mean and I hoped it would work out, but it hasn't and now I feel even worse as in some ways I have sort led him on. I know I should have just said no to begin with but I didn't and can't change that now so can you please tell me how to end it nicely so that I don't end up hurting him.

20

Most Helpful Girl

• wow that's tough...Ive been on the receiving end of this situation. the reality is that break ups suck, no matter what the reasons are. Personally I prefer honesty. It might hurt his feeling in the moment, but then after a while he might appreciate the fact that you cared enough about him to be honest. Don't lie, and don't be vague about your reasons. there's nothing worse than trying to figure out why someone broke up with you in the first place. We are all human and make mistakes, there's no shame in admitting when you are wrong about something... hope this helps good luck! ;)

• Thank you the only problem is that addmiting you are wrong is hard, but I will :)

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 1

• wow I was in exactly the same situation a month ago. So I made the mistake of waiting until he made me mad, like whenever I said to myself "tonight is the night ill end it" I would chicken out because he would be really nice to me and id feel like a bitch. So my advice is to come clean and be completely honest with him before things start getting serious. be prepared to have to explain your reasons and answer his questions. what I did was asked him to come watch a movie with me, then when it ended I said really quietly to him that I don't think I'm ready to be in another relationship right now. I ended up crying my eyes out telling him how I felt like I was the biggest bitch on the planet, he wasn't too pleased that I was breaking up with him, but ask him this... would he prefer you DIDNT tell him, and the relationship progressed, even though you weren't happy? chances are he will say no. in the end. you have to do what's right for you. This guy isn't going to miraculously become the guy of your dreams over night, so break up with him asap, there is less pain that way. :) ohh and me and this guy are still friends, we aren't super close, but I think its best that way.

hope this helps:)

• Thanks that really helps. so you and your ex are still friends? God I hope we can still be I still haven't had the courage to do it but I will soon. Thank you for replying.

• Yeahh we are still friends. I still have feelings for him, but I'm ignoring that because I want to work at being friends, then maybe when we are both maturer and want a relationship, then hopefully he will see that I'm still the one for him:) good luck, its just like ripping of a band aid:)