Why is he being so rude to be after he broke up with me? He wanted to stay friends but is avoiding me?

So a few weeks ago my boyfriend and I broke up. He is my First love and I still love him. When we broke up his reasons were
1. He just didn't love me like "that" anymore
2. He wasn't as romantically interested
3. He wants to marry a member of the church (He is mormon)
4. We had gotten too close
5. Our realtionship had run its course
6. He wants to focus on his mission (Which I completely understand that reason)

I was not ready for thr breakup but I told him I accepted it... he felt terrible for hurting me and didn't want his feelings to change but they did. He cried with me... He was also very insistent on staying friends which is so freaking hard. I don't think I can do it. I don't want us to hate eachother though.
We were together for 10 months... which I know to some people isn't a long time but it really is. We did so much together.
Anyways, he has been very rude... I haven't tried talking to him much at all but sometimes I have to for reasons in school or band...
He is a football player and recently won homecoming king so our social backgrounds were very different even though we bascially met throught the same group of friends. He took another girl to homecoming which I guess isn't a huge deal but it still hurts because it had only been a week and a half since he broke up with me. Yesterday, I was upset becasue he was being rude and a friend of mine went and told him. My ex told my friend that I "can't let it go" and he is trying to avoid me (which i'm okay with him avoiding me, I don't think I deserve to be treated badly though). Which bugs me because it has been TWO weeks... How does he expect me to be over it? So now I question if he ever actually loved me... which I believe is typical. I have just been very heart broken about the whole thing. His family also loves me... a lot so I have still been in contact with them some. So he could be mad about that? They are the ones keeping contact with me.

11

Most Helpful Guy

• He could just be a mean guy. Breakups can bring out the worst in people. Also, he could be trying to make things easier on himself by putting you in an adversarial role. He won't feel guilt or regret if he can convince himself that it's your fault he's acting this way, and that you've pushed him into disliking you. It's a cowardly way of assigning blame for the outcome of a relationship to you, when often, things just didn't work out, and nobody was really at fault. I'd break any and all contact with him, his friends, family etc. You'd be better off. Hope things get better for you :-)

What Guys Said 0

The only opinion from guys was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!

What Girls Said 1

• Jerry Seinfeld once said that breaking up a relationship needs to be like taking off a Band-aid – One motion: OFF! In the same regard, when a relationship ends, it is much much harder for a guy to go back and discuss and revisit and talk through and explain, etc. etc.
    Everyone handle break ups differently and he could be that type of guy. I think he will be like this in the beginning as he probably is handling the break up in his own way. Focus on moving on and I am sure the two of you will be good friends later on when the air is cleared so to say.