Does getting back with an ex ever really work out?

has it ever worked for anyone? does it really last? do things change for good? do people really change for good?

54

Most Helpful Girl

• It hasn't happened for me but it has for friends of mine, who have gone on to have very long lasting relationships that are still going with former exes. Of course it depends on why you broke up in the first place but if you both truly loved each other and still did at the time of the break up then it is possible that you may come back to that person in the future.

The only way that you will be able to make the relationship work though, is if you both look at the past relationship and both realize how you contributed to the broken relationship and the steps you must take in order to prevent the same bad behaviour from occuring again. Perhaps you realized that you took each other for granted or were just too pushy or you need to work on communication. Once you have acknowledged where you went wrong in the past, you have to be willinging to forgive and forget, meaning the second time around has to be started fresh just like it was the first time you ever dated and start over from scratch with a better understanding of your own mistakes. This means that you can't keep bringing up the problems of the past but only focus on the present and future.

What Girls Said 4

• If both really care for one another, then it can work out.

From my experience, my ex broke up with me twice. After the first time, he came back saying he has changed/will do whatever it takes to make me happy and never hurt me...But it ended up being BS.

So I think it would only workout if both committed to the relationship.

• yeah it does because me and my boyfriend have broken up a couple ov tyms now but we always get back together, but I think it only really works if your truly in love with that person , and people do change you just gotta give them a chance you can't really expect them to change over night tbh

• i don't rly think so. you break up with someone for a reason. and people don't rly change in most cases.

• my sister and her now husband broke up 3 times before getting married..so I know it can work out

What Guys Said 4

• Well in my past history the answer is No. But I am sure there are times it may be possible as I do believe people change and are regretful of how they treated you. But, they are xxx's for a reason so be sure you don't trust to deep till you are sure of their reasons for coming back into your life, they just may be passing through again.

Good Luck.

- Harvey D

• move on

• No.

• not for me.

and from my friends experiences, not for them either.

usually getting back with an ex is a bad idea unless both of you have really changed and made a commitment to work things out. although you might plan on this rarely does it pan out.

the first few weeks of getting back with an ex are great because it's all new again. however, soon enough, you'll get back into your old ways.

i'd really advise against it.

if you dated 3 years ago and want to try it again it might work out since both of you might have grown. but if youve split up and date a little while afterwards the chance of both of you maturing/changing are slim.