What does my ex boyfriend mean by space?

We broke up for the second time almost three months ago and were together for 9 months. I begged for the past month and tried to meet up, but he ignored all of them. I also said it's ok if he doesn't want to meet up, I'll understand and I'll move on. He sent this yesterday:

I'm ignoring you because you're not giving enough time apart. Just look at how many messages you sent me without a response. I'm not trying to be mean but that's what needs to happen.

So I'm giving him space but what does he mean by space? Does he want space to completely move on before meeting up? Or is he still wondering if there's a chance? Or does is he hoping for me to move on?

I just wanted a yes or no answer. I wasn't going to be offended if he said no. I didn't want to be strung along and even this answer felt a little confusing. I know it means give him time away but for what?

43

Most Helpful Guy

• he means stop messaging him and appearing desperate about it. if he didn't answer from the many messages you sent him, what makes you keep sending them? you know he'll ignore it.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think you should just get another boyfriend if he really likes you he wouldn't be able to stand seeing you with someone else. My boyfriend did something similar to me a couple years ago at the time we were together for almost 2 years. I think he just wanted freedom well that is what he thought he wanted. I would beg him for us to work things out and he would say no he needs his space. Eventually i gave him his space started talking to another guy he heard about it and soon i was the one telling him i need space but we got back together eventually and we are still together and stronger than ever.

What Guys Said 2

• He means that you are suffocating him. He wants you to give him some alone time and not "harass" him with messages.

• he wants to break up

What Girls Said 3

• No you're doing this wrong. Space is absolutely essential in every relationship whether your friends, dating or even married! You can't keep going all up in his face like that! Let him miss you and let him approach YOU! Your the key at the end of the day so let him be the gentleman! Xx

• He feels you are overwhelming him. Just don't meassge him for a while. I made the mistake of meassging too much and not giving him space, and now, he dislikes me and gets annoyed with me very easily.

• He's hurting clearly, and if things are at a full end well seeing you know will be to hard for him, don't text let him reach out, I promise you he will