Do babies really put an extra strain on a couples' relationship? Or is every couple different?

Let's call this couple "Couple A"... one of my friends and her husband had a baby 2 weeks ago and they are so happy and calm... All 3 of them r settling so well... I just do see how a baby causes stress?
they are Christians tho and married so maybe that makes them stronger than the next couple?
Couple B on the other hand, Seem to have grown apart a bit... Cos they got together at 21 and are now 30... They are now going to have a baby...
im pretty sure it was her idea and he is just going along with it... Will the baby relieve the boredom and stagnancy?
They have been Together for 8 years, living together for 3 years... But They look miserable together but now she is pregnant... What's gonna happen?

will it work? Will he stay with her cos he will he so in love with his baby?
could the baby make them happier and complete as a family?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, marital satisfaction does decrees at around when a child is born, you spend less time together and more time with the baby plus with both parents working (usually) this adds additional strain to both of them instead of a division of labor that could prevent the strain since both are working and both are taking care of the baby.
    However couples who do manage to stay together during this time and for the several years after report higher marital satisfaction then before so its a matter of learning how to communicate and divy up responsibilities and deal with conflict instead of avoiding it. Will they make it or not? Its hard to say, its really up to them. Unfortunatley in our society we have made divorce so easy that a lot of people just separate because its easier then dealing with the problems. Those who do not believe in divorce feel they have no choice but to deal with the issues which might be why couple A is doing so well, because they have figured out how to best talk their problems out rather then running away from them. I don't think time together is the issue, my parents have been togethre almost 40 years and are going strong. Again its all about communication and learning to deal with problems. If they are using the baby as a way to deal with their problems then it won't end well. So hope they figure out how to confront their problems before they harm a childs well being with a divorce.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Babies dont fix always fix relationships bit it does depend on the people. My friends boyfriend used to beat her up and was always out drinking she fell preg and he's never hit her since and doesn't even go out he's like a completely diff person he works and provides for his family and they are now expecting their 2nd.
    I however had a great guy who was really happy about being a family was great in the preg and after but by time our baby was 6 half months all he did was go out drinking after work and sleep and since we split he's even worse and hardly bothers see his son but acts like dad of the year on fb

I think if they have grown apart a baby will push it further because its very stressful time

0|0
    0|0

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 4

• A baby will not make you happier with your partner. The novelty of a baby in the house will relieve boredom for a short while, but the demands of a baby will cause frustration. Waking up every 2 hours blows! Everything in your life changes because you have a baby. You can't just go dancing tonight on a whim; you must plan everything because you need a babysitter. Babies do not save bad relationships.

More importantly, you don't have a baby because of what they can do for you! You have a baby because of what you can do for the baby!

0|0
    0|0
  • Absolutely 100% yes, having children will put a strain on your relationship. Period.

That said, it is true some couples will weather this storm better than others. And having children CAN (and probably does fairly often) give a sense of completion or fulfilment to a couple that is hard to match...

But if anyone tells you it isn't hard to maintain a healthy relationship after having kids, they lied to you. You have kids, and it is a real strain. Stress strains relationships and kids are stressful. I can not make it simpler than that.

0|0
    0|0
  • Every family is different. Having a baby is very stressful, and if the two parents are not on the same page going into it, then it drives them apart further. On the other hand, if both are on the same page and supportive of each other, then it is still difficult, but easier than the other way

0|0
    0|0
  • What the fuck, I swear to god you post a question about this same thing every day. They are gonna stay together and you need to stop stalking them, move on.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 3

• It really depends! Children are such a new chapter in life and can bring out the best and worst out of you. Just because a couple is happy doesn't mean they'll always be happy, just because a couple is unhappy doesn't mean they'll always be unhappy. It really depends on what they want to do to fix their relationship and maintain. Now a days people don't have to stay with their partners in order to be a parent, however babies CAN either make people happier or in fact miserable unfortunately.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, babies can make couples happier and stronger. It's hard to tell not knowing these two and their situation/relationship. I'd hope they would stay together for each other though, and not just the baby.

0|0
    0|0
  • No. He'll cheat on her and dump her. She'll get to bring up the kid on her own so finally all her dreams will come true as a single mother.
    Stop asking this question!

0|0
    0|0