Traveling after a break up. is a good idea?

I broke up with my boyfriend just a couples ago and it wasn't my longest relationship but the most significant. I realize that I don't want to keep going out everynight and getting drunk.

I always wanted to travel and I feel like it would be good for me but at the same time I feel like maybe I am running away. Anyone has experience?

54

Most Helpful Guy

• sorry for what a happened to you. don't rush and give yourself time to think wisely ( I don't know if you're a rich girl or not, but is there any things more important then travel at this time? I mean like pay bills, rent, collage books, health care... ets) I understood that you're hurt+ have some difficulty to moving on, but first deal with your problems and Don't leave it stuck (drinking, blaming yourself + live with the guilt). you Don't wanna travel around the world while you're unhappy ( what's the point of traveling around the world and spend a great days and coming back start again and be sad for months or years?
    make a decision while you're happy not sad
    take some time+deal with your problems=reward yourself by travel... Go around the world, venice , mars, Pluto... ets
    Think wisely.
    Good luck...

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it's a great idea!!! There is nothing better you can do after a breakup, than to do something for yourself that gets you to focus on the things you love and what makes you happy... and traveling also helps expose you to new people and cultures which helps shape your character.

It's only running away if you are still in a relationship where you are fighting a lot and not working to resolve things. Since you are broken up, there is nothing to run away from. It's good for you to get away from old memories and start building fresh ones.

You are pretty young anyway, which is the prefect opportunity to travel and focus on building a life for yourself that involves the things that make you happy. Too often, us girls especially, will spend too much time focusing on finding a perfect guy to "complete" our lives. Create your perfect life FIRST, and then worry about the man department.

I know that breakups are hard because you treasure the good times you had, and that's okay. It's okay to be sad, but just don't let it drag on. Traveling is the perfect remedy for that. You might as well be having a fun happy life while you are waiting for that moment which leads you to the man of your dreams. I made the mistake of wallowing in my own misery after breakups... which when you look back is super silly; because you have two options in life since you can't control timing in which you meet "the one". 1. Be miserable and depressed and longing for what you don't have 2. focus on bringing all the happy things you love into your life.

Option 2 sounds like a much better way to spend your time.

What Guys Said 3

• Nothing wrong with that... I did that after my wife and I broke up, it helped me to gain clarity and figure out who I am again because we had been a couple so long.

It was one of the best trips I ever did!

• You already know the answer to the question - you don't need to ask it here.
    Are you running away?
    Travelling generally awards perspective which may be something you need at present.

• I look at it like you are taking time out to treat yourself. This is healthy for you because you are doing something for you. You are not doing for guy but, you are taking time to love yourself. I encourage you to travel and take time to love yourself.
    I got caught up in trying to love and please everybody else that I didn't start taking time for myself until in my 30's.

What Girls Said 4

• It can be a good idea. Once I went through the same situation: I broke up with my boyfriend and I took a 3 day trip to the beach to unwind, watch the sunrise, walk by the sea. I felt a lot better when I came back.
    What type of trip were you thinking of?

• I was thinking doing volunteer job in some country. Maybe for 1 or 2 months!

• Oh ok that sounds good :)

• Your not running away. You are running to new experiences. I say Go Girl! Clear your mind, get to know and love new things and when you are ready again for a relationship, think of all the things you'll have to talk about on that first date ❤️

• sometime not... Its best to stay home!

• It's so natural to want to just curl up in a corner or just escape and run away after a break up. It takes time to heal. The amount of time depends on how significant he was, and since he meant a lot to you, you can expect to continue on for a while. Been there, done that :( It's no fun, but after some time you will finally realize how he was never meant to be part of your life. Soon you'll find a new guy and you'll be the happiest person ever wondering what you missed out on. If traveling helps, do it! Get your mind off of him. Try something new you've always wanted to do, hang out with friends, trying exercising more. Focus on you because that is what is most important, always.