My ex is with someone else but wants to keep in touch with me. Will he ever come back?

A year and half ago I've been with this guy for 5 months, he was separated but not divorced yet. We live 2 hours apart and used to see each other every weekend/or two weekends. The relationship faded, something went wrong and he came up with the "too much too soon" excuse. We really believed in the relationship, the chemistry was 1000% and we wanted to get closer to have more time to spend together. Eventually it ended. He was not ready for it. We kept in touch and at some point I took a 2 months break from him after which he told me that he missed me, that he was thinking to come back with me and that he wondered whether in those two months I was thinking about him. Now he has someone else who lives in his town, he's not in love but he likes her a lot. This sucks!

We decided to be friends but today I told him I can't be friend with him since he always comes up with something he says that makes me upset.

Now he's away for work, far from everyone, he'll be back in May, I just can't forget him and it seems like he doesn't have clear ideas about what he wants. He said he takes things day after day.

He told me that maybe things in the future could be better between us, he always gave me hopes and I don't know whether I should be happy about that or not. All he wants is to take things slowly but it seems like in his head there's printed that I want to commit which is not what I want if he's not ready. He seems he cares for me but I know I should move on. I know he problem is the distance bcs if I lived close by maybe today we would have still been together since things would have been taken differently.

What do you think, will he ever come back with me?

What do I have to do?
+1 y
Oh I forgot..he has nice memories and thoughts about me and us but he still feels like I want more than he can give at the moment.I told him that distance is the killer of our relationship, that's why it will never work. Maybe I should have avoided it!
2
6