Why do people say a break is the same as a break up?

can someone tell me why some people say that a 'break' and a 'break up' are the same thing? I don't think they're the same?

84

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't think they're the same. The way I see it is a break is some time out of a relationship but technically you're still tied to that person and usually its only temporary so you get back toegther and a break up is when a relationship is over and done with.

Some people like to use the word "break" to go with other people and when they're confronted about it later they say "well we'd broke up back then", just excuses that's all

xoxox

What Guys Said 4

• My interpretation of a "break" is "I want to go screw somebody else for a while and if he/she isn't any good then I'll go back to screwing you."

That is totally my definition of a break.

• I agree 99%. It's rare for someone in the couple to want a break for a reason other than this.

• In most ways, it's the same thing, if you break up, you might get back together, and if you're on a break, you might get back together. The only difference is the intention, in a break, you intend on getting back together, but in a break up, you don't. However, it's easy for drama to break out from either situation.

• I believe that they're two different things. A break implies that you're going to get back together or at least talk about where things are headed. A break up...well there goes that relationship.

• Some sick people use a break as an easy way to dump people so that they have more time to deal with the possibility of losing them. I'm on a break with a girl right now (her decision) but I know her really well so I know that it isn't the case for me.

What Girls Said 7

• It's not the same. Someone who wants to go on a break, for whatever reason, wants to leave the window of opportunity open to have the option of getting back together. Someone who wants to break up has made up his or her mind.

• If someone wants a break then it is because they are not happy in a relationship. usually "breaks" lead to break ups. Usually they are excuses, and a little foreshadowing of what is going to happen. Why would you take a break if you are happy where you are?

• People who take a "break" usually don't end up getting back together.

• a break is what people use to basically find someone better than you or to decide if they're gonna leave you because they'd rather be single than be with you:)

• It's not, a break usually means they need space but are willing to get back together later, and to break up is to end it forever.

• its basically the same. I don't do breaks. we either together or we broke up. do the damn thing, don't be half assed about it. if you want to go on a break then I consider myself single.

• reminds me of the rachel and ross scenario "But we were on a breeeeak!" LOL! it's not the same thing. a break is like cool off time knowing that you'll get together at some stage to discuss your issues. there's usually a time period attached to it. a break up is you go your way, I go mine.

• I thought the same thing! And I totally side with Rachel on that one.

• LOL! I'm with rachel too. most guys would probably be on ross' side.