These replies to infidelity and divorce questions are really bugging me, so here is MY question... Is it?

Always one person's fault when someone cheats? If you feel that way, please tell me how you can justify being so absolute. To add some context, let's say it's a married couple with young children, and one parent goes out and has a one night stand.

Do you belive that it take two people to make a relationship work and two people to screw it up?

Do you think that there are times that a person that made such a choice deserves another chance?
If you are one of those people that believes in one strike and you're out... what about the children who are innocent victims in this situation? Do they deserve to grow up without one of the bilogical parents around hardly at all because they made a horribly poor decision one night?

To be clear, I believe that infidelity is a terrible thing. I believe that two wrongs don't make a right. But I also believe that it takes two people to make something work... or not. So while I feel strongly that cheating on your spouse is a terribly poor choice to make, I believe that (at least in some cases) that the other (innocent) spouse may have played a role in what eventually led to that bad decision.

So... is it one and done and to hell with the imminent emotinal train wreck that is barreling down on the kids, OR... can a POSSIBLE second chance be worked out, depending on the details and contributing factors?

• It's one and done, kids or no kids
  • A second chance might be in order, depending the details
  • If it can possibly be worked out and turned around, do it
    Vote C
OK, so it's been an hour. So far we have 60/40 in favor of some version of a second chance opportunity. That's pretty close (one vote in fact, ha!).

Four girl comments and only one guy. Anyone else?
Thanks to ALL who put some thought into their replies. It looks like 60/40 in favor of a second chance is about where people stand.

To be clear, I'm not a parent, never cheated or been cheated on. I simply wanted to inspire people to THINK a little bit, before drawing a hard-line "zero tolerance" policy. Yes, infidelity is a terrible thing that leaves collateral damage in it's wake. BUT... once the DEED IS DONE, there are other factors (and people) to consider BEFORE taking further action.

1615

Most Helpful Guy

• it takes two to make it work or screw it up.
    if he neglected her she will eventually cheat either emotionally or physically and if she neglected him he will eventually cheat either emotionally or physically.
    no one cheats for no reason unless there is no love in the first place.
    and yes of course the kids deserve a better life. so dont just kick her or him out for one mistake.
    we are all human and its our nature to do mistakes. and who are we not to forgive one mistake while "God forgives everyone (if you were a believer)", or while our parents forgive us for everything we do no matter how hurtful we were.
    and all this is applicable if it was a mistake and not a love relationship that has been going for a while. and it depends on the details.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Excellent points. Thanks.

• I'm sorry but I was very neglected and mentally abused in my last relationship and never once even considered cheating for a second. Even when he suggested I find someone else to fulfill my sexual needs I cried and begged him not to say such awful things. I was so convinced through his manipulation that I was the problem when in fact he had cheated on me multiple times. I even was there taking him to the hospital, paying his bills, begging him for sex, and still got lied to, cheated on, and used. So how did I contribute to the failure of that when I did everything right?
      I'm not bitter and so happy to be out of that relationship and even happier now to be with a man who actually cares about me. I just want you to realize that sometimes it really is only the cheaters fault.

• @kittykatg neglect has so many different aspects, nobody is perfect to not commit any mistake, maybe the smallest thing that u see not important at all is very important to him and had him hurt or feel neglected.
      im not saying that there are no exceptions, you can always find people of both genders with screwed up brains that are simply sex oriented and are naturally infidel to their partners.
      plus i stated "no one cheats for no reason unless there is no love in the first place"
      "and all this is applicable if it was a mistake and not a love relationship that has been going for a while. and it depends on the details."

Most Helpful Girl

• Most people tell themselves one and done because their self worth tells them there is no compromising. I believe cheating happens due to a lack of intimacy, someone stopped trying or become complacent, and ultimately a lack of proper communication. Cheating is never the answer and if that line is crossed it is hard to bounce back from... people make mistakes tho. And some genuinely don't realize how bad they screwed up until it's too late... certain instances, I think reconciliation is in order. Relationships can be quite complex tho so there def isn't one answer here.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Agreed a million percent. Thank you

• @Myselfplusrespect you raise a good point. Like I mentioned, there isn't just one blanket answer to every scenario.

• which is the very reason @hthrilla got MHO. If for no other reason than that there's not a one size fits all answer here.