How do I let this underage girl down without upsetting her?

So I'm 21 and in University and this girl who's 17 is doing dual credit from her high school and is in one of my classes. We ended up being paired together for our projects. I would have small talk and we got along fine so far in the semester and would joke around. But now in recent weeks she's been acting super eager and giving off a lot of signs that she's attracted to me. But it's just not appropriate and I don't want to upset her or have any trouble happen so what do you guys think is the best course of action? I'd rather not lie and say I have a girlfriend because I don't and I prefer not lying.

44

Most Helpful Girl

• Say that she is too young for you and it's impossible, you are really pretty and a lot of boys will like you but since I'm at the university I have to focus on my studies, blah blah blah and will have no time to hang out

Most Helpful Guy

• Age of consent is 17 in a lot of places, something to think about.

• Here it's 18.

• You can go out without having sex. I've heard of too many 15 year old girls fucking 20 year olds to be phased by a nonsexual relationship with a 17 year old.

What Girls Said 3

• Four years is not an age difference to lose sleep over. I think u should go for it if u like her.
    in a few years you'll see the age difference will even itself out , when you're 24 and she's 20.

• It's still illegal. The age difference may be acceptable in a couple years but currently it's not.

• Well, it's only illegal if you're sexual with her. Refrain from that for a few months until she's of age. If u like her , go for it.
      Ur really not that much older.

• Right now the age difference seems huge because there's a difference in development at this age. But the older you get the more it lessens.
      As adults u both would fall into the same age range or bracket.
      I think u should give it time if she's a girl u like and be open to getting to know her.
      Keep her around but wait for the sexual part.

• Don't worry about upsetting her. Be brutal. Then she won't hold out hope that you'll be interested in her later on (assuming that you never will be).

• Slowly detach yourself from her. Drift off

What Guys Said 3

• maybe she is just a friendly person. I know lots of women who thought I liked them because I simply talked nicely to them. So perhaps you should deal with it, and if she acts on these impulses then simply state that you feel it is inappropriate for a man of your age to do whatever it is with a young lady of her age.

• You don't owe her attention beyond the projects you're working on. If she tries to get that 'unprofessional attention', just ignore her signs, but listen when she talks about your project.
    In short: act oblivious. (Been there, done that)

• You can't just stop talking to her?