Boyfriend doesn't want to cut ties?

So to make a long story short, my boyfriend of 4 months recently decided he doesn't want to be with me long term. He says the constant fighting has pushed him away. He played his part in our arguments, it was never one sided. He just would never take responsibility. I told him if that's what he wants then I'm fine with that. He said he still thinks I'm a wonderful woman and likes hanging out with me, we always have a good time. I told him, I'm all or nothing. I have never accepted being downgraded to friend status. I refuse to stay friends with someone who doesn't feel I'm worth holding on to. I told him it's best we just cut ties because he will never see my side of it and work through our disagreements together. He hasn't answered me yet, and says he'll talk to me tonite. Is he second guessing his decision now that he knows I will no longer be in his life? Or does he just want total control and try to convince me to stay for his own selfish reasons? I just don't know how someone can be so selfish and just let me go if he doesn't want a relationship.

12

Most Helpful Guy

• it just sounds to me like you two need to break up. it doesn't matter what he's doing if he's doing anything. if he's playing games, thinking or whatever. what seems clear is that you two have a kind of volatile relationship and at four months if the fighting and lack of acceptance of responsibility on both sides isn't up to par then the relationship definitely isn't going to head anywhere positive.

• You have a point. Thank you.

What Guys Said 1

• Um, your 4 months in and fighting. Honestly I would back away too. I would prepare for him to say he doesn't want you in his life then if you are demanding all or nothing.

• I just told him I needed to cut ties as I refuse to stick around on a friends only basis. He said it doesn't have to be like that. So what does that tell you?

• Says that he doesn't have the guts yet to just break it off

• I think so too.

What Girls Said 1

• If you feel like cutting the ties than you do that. Follow through on what you want.

• I know it's what I have to do, as much as I don't want to. I just can't understand why he doesn't agree with me if he doesn't want to be with me?

• Because social relations aren't all inherently designed to be romantic.

• @Mesonfielde
      Hmmmm