Why did he break up with me?

So, this guy, Dave, and I have been friends for almost a year. He always liked me from the beginning but, we didn't start dating until August 2015. He liked me more at first, and I was always iffy about the relationship since I am graduating this December 2015, and he doesn't graduate college until spring 2017. Anyway, three months later we managed to grow our feelings and I believe that I am in love with him. Based on his actions, I am sure he loves me too. We have such a natural connection and very strong friendship. Anyway, he's been acting sad the past week about me graduating soon, and he's had fears about the relationship. A few days ago he was telling me he feels weird and that he thinks he needs some alone time. I gave him space the rest of that day and then he called me later to talk and I thought we were fine. Well, last night we went out with his friends and had a great night, but then when we got back to his place he started acting weird. He started saying how we don't have that much in common, etc. It was all not true though because we are very similar. And he basically said he needs time alone and right now in his life he wants to be single. I of course was in disbelief by his sudden change of attitude towards me, and I was very upset. He tried to hold me and comfort me, but I was so sad by how he suddenly decided to break up like that. He never actually said Break Up, but this morning when we woke up he apologized for the way he handled things and told me that he loves me and that I did nothing wrong, and that he felt weird mentally. Then he said he wants to try to preserve our relationship but without the "title" of boyfriend,. Today when he dropped me off at my apartment, he started crying when I was about to leave and I could tell he was very sad about his decision. He swears he doesn't want to be with anyone else, and I believe him. Why would he break up with me so suddenly? Should I contact him? Or wait for him to contact me?

Thank you all for your input, but I don't think I stressed the fact that me and this guy were very good friends before we started dating. And part of me knows we weren't going to end up together, but I miss having a boyfriend. I don't want to lose him as a friend, and he isn't trying to be my friends with benefits he said he wants to preserve our friendship (and he isn't expecting or forcing me to hook up with him at all).

41

Most Helpful Guy

• Sounds like he's afraid of what the relationship will be after you graduate. I'm assuming you'd be a lot further apart and long distance can take new strains on a (somewhat) new relationship. Maybe some insecurities led him to think he's holding you back... you should talk to him about the real reasoning, the least he could do is tell you why without making excuses.

Most Helpful Girl

• Talk to him and solve the situation

What Guys Said 0

The only opinion from guys was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!

What Girls Said 3

• He's letting his insecurities get the best of him, perhaps feels less that he's graduating after you and I don't know could affect his ego. Most of the time when sudden break ups happen theyre not thought of over night and h may have been thinking this for a couple of weeks and didn't know how to bring it up. He's making excuses also, I'd rather someone just say they didn't want to be with me, but I also think him not wanting the title says a lot more, how can he want to be with you but not want the titled, it's either you're together or your not, you can't go half assed. Sorry you're in this, best of luck x

• Who cares? He broke up with u! Lets move on! Like I told one girl before u! Eat a cheeseburger... eat some ben and jerry! Go clubbing! lol have fun! For get this guy! For get it! He ain't worth your time!

• Just be straight up with him and ask him what's the real reason he's acting like this and tell him that he can't have you without a title because you're not a game. Tell him you'd appreciate an explanation. You won't look needy. You'll look confident and assertive. Don't let him see you cry either, no matter what he says.