Does my ex want to get back together and should I contact him again?

I reached out to my ex because I needed closure from the relationship. When we broke up, he said he had no faith in what we had and wished me the best. When I did reach out, he seemed very happy to hear from me and asked how I was doing twice in the same message. He also asked when I was moving to Chicago (He wanted me to move to Chicago otherwise the relationship would end. It ended anyway.) After I didn't respond to a text from him he texted again a couple hours later saying, "In case you are wondering I miss you very much and I don't like the note we ended on. I feel guilty about the last message too cuz I know I never made you happy. And I am very sorry about that. You deserve much more." After I said that it would be better to talk about this kind of thing in person, I appreciated the apology, and I missed him as well, he never responded.

What did this all mean?
Is he afraid?
Was this just a moment of weakness on his part?
Should I reach out to him even though he never responded back?

This breakup has been killing me.
1
0