Why do guys rarely show emotion after a break up?

314

Most Helpful Guy

• That's because we men are 'expected' to suck it up and pretend like nothing has happened. Even if we show a bit of emotions, we are told to 'man up and stop being a woman'.

Wonder why a lot more men than women commit suicide? No one helps us when we are feeling down or emotional. Instead, we are mocked and laughed at.

Most Helpful Girl

• One of three scenarios has occurred:
    1.) Men are taught from an early age that they should hide their emotions no matter how he truly feels. Showing emotions is seen as a feminine trait in some societies, thus he pretends he doesn't feel any emotions.
    2.) Closely tied to the first scenario is that he does show emotions but he does so in private.
    3.) He doesn't show emotions because breaking up, if he iniated it, gives him a sense of relief.

And some guys do show emotions. I had an ex boyfriend who carried in front of me after we broke up. It made me cry too but it was for the best.

Those are my guesses...

• Do you think a guy censoring emotions in one situation will affect him showing emotions privately?

What Guys Said 13

• It's just an act. When he's alone he's feeling the pain.

• Depends on the guy, if he is all Alpha good luck. But if he is a little Pansy, then he will be a crying little girl. Also depends on if he welcomes the break up. I've ran chicks off before because they were too damn pushy. Several factors come into play. Like I said of he is all alpha male then he will just move on to the piece of ass

• Trust me there is emotion there. He is just wearing a mask that's all. Every man has his own reasons. It may be that he thinks he will be viewed as weak. For my case I hate to be a bother to people. No need for them to concern themselves with my feelings, I can handle then myself.

• "It may be that he thinks he will be viewed as weak. "... Isn't that the exact same comment as mine? Hmm makes me wonder why you jumped on my opinion to disagree!!

• If we should that we care people and future girls will think of us as weak and after a break up girls don't like seeing a weak guy not a turn on, so we put on an act till it goes away. Some act like ass holes some do other stuff but in the end we are just disappointed and sad

• Haven't meet one guy that was in high school that has shown emotion and got another girl after that you do it one you'll be single for the hole year and maybe more

• I showed one emotion after my breakup: Happiness. I was obviously the one who ended the relationship.

• Its simply an act, men often don't like to show emotion so he is simply hiding it.

• Some people are more invested than others.

• For some men theonly reason for being in a relationship really is the sex.

• Because they're usually pissed off for a reason, and don't wanna talk to u.

• they do have emotions but they never tend to show it off////

• Its macho to pretend

• That's a false stereotype. We show plenty... Or the smart ones do anyway

• guys who show emotion are disregarded.

What Girls Said 2

• A lot of guys don't display their emotions in front of people. They think people will view them weak. Just because you don't see someone breaking down that doesn't necessarily mean they aren't feeling the hurt inside or they don't break down behind closed doors.

• Well it isn't that I think they will view me as weak. I just don't want to bother people with my emotions. They matter not to only but my self. As well I hate when people say oh poor you. I don't know it is extremely cringe worthy and embarrassing.

• Then you are obviously not a very perceptive person and have tunnelled vision. @hezingrimm... then again considering your age.. I guess it's understandable

• You had the exact same thoughts as me on your own opinion thread

• Thanks for asking this question!!! I would love to know that too.