How come it's wrong to remain friends with your ex?

I mean I know y'all might catch feelings again but why can't they remain friends if they know they're over each other.

512

Most Helpful Guy

• You could get along, although I think it can scare your next partner.

Although, I do not believe that is fair of the next partner.

Personally I've had an issue with this. My boyfriend used to sleep with a lot of people and has had several exes. While I don't necessarily like that it is ok, because I used to sleep with others and that is all in the past. Now he did not understand why them occasionally texting him made me uncomfortable until one of the girls I used to sleep with started texting me and I started talking to her (just being friendly.) That made him jealous and we have now made a rule for each other that we will not text our exes etc because the temptation can be too great (not necessarily for me or him, but because they tend to not respect the boundaries of your new relationship)

Lol that's it for my rant XP

Most Helpful Girl

• as long as the feeling are resolved!

What Guys Said 11

• It isn't "wrong" but it is frequently a bad idea depending on how things ended. When you have that much emotional history when another person and things go poorly there is almost always complications afterwords. One person could still have romantic interest in the other and then be stuck in the infamous friendzone. Or there could just be a lot of hatred and resentment that never got out in the open.

I have only ever been able to stay friends with one ex but she is one of the best friends I have.

• So that the two of them have a fresh head if and when they want to fix the relationship.

• It isn't wrong, its just far too much drama. My exes wanted to remain friends, for one it worked and the other tried to but I was like fuck that. It usually depends on how much you were involved how long and what this friendship means to you.

• It's not, if you can get along after the breakup

• There is nothing wrong. It just depends on how things ended. If things ended in a bad way i dont think is a good idea. There might be problems down the road. Like if you find someone nice he might get jelous and do something to screw it up

• Depends on if one or both of you are really over it.

• Nothing wrong with it as long as both have similar expectations

• Its not wrong. Your ex is a person who is a best friend who understands you more than anyone else because they were that close. It does need clear boundaries and a little restraint towards those feeling though :)

• It's not wrong. I'm friends with all my ex's (except one).

• It's like saying guys and girls can be "just friends". Everyone knows they can't

• Because other people you will date won't like that. I being one of them

What Girls Said 4

• It's not 'wrong', most people just assume it's because you're taking a break and will get back together. Plus future partners may find them competition and it could course drama.

• It's not wrong. It just makes things incredibly uncomfortable for your current partner. If you, your current partner and ex can honestly hang out together as buddies with no awkwardness at all, then go for it. Otherwise you're just screwing your cutr

• It's not wrong to be friends with your ex. I'm still friends with all my exes

• It's not a good idea to remain friends with ex's, for a couple of reasons
      1. What if y'all still have feelings for each other
      2. What if you get a new boyfriend or he gets a new girlfriend (relating to the first one), how would you feel if he had a new girlfriend, and you still liked him. She wouldn't want you around because of that, and of course vice versa, ya know, what if you had a new boyfriend, and he still liked you, your new boyfriend might not want that around (and most of the time, we can tell when someone likes someone).

• @Dave20154 You already did. But it's just a friendly debate

• Yeah I wonder this too. And still my ex refuses a friendship... although he's quite clearly over me :S. I get the feeling some people are scared of catching feelings again and repeating the cycle.