Live in boyfriend of 6 years and his kids moved out...is there any hope of working things out?

Hi - My boyfriend and I were living together for the last 5 years. We had custody of his 2 boys and were extremely happy for a long time. I always knew being a single dad the boys were his number one priority and thought of them as my own. In the last year though between practices 6 days and week and games and work we never saw each other and our relationship started to be a little distanced. We hardly ever saw each other and when we did one of us was in a bad mood or exhausted. We bought the house we lived in together but it was in my name and I put down the down payment.

In October we had a stupid little fight that just kind of snowballed. I emailed a lawyer and asked if we were common law married and told him about the house. He emailed back and said no and you can kick him out at any time. I didn't act on it and would never have. But in this fight he went through my emails and saw the response. This fight lasted 2 weeks where we didn't speak to each other. And long story short I came home from work early one day to talk to him and say how stupid this whole thing was (not knowing he saw the email) only to open a letter from a real estate agent about how he bought a new house. He didn't even tell me. When he got home from work he said "Yes, don't worry the house it right down the street. I never loved you. Never want to get married. And am sick of playing house. And I'm not leaving for 30 days." Yes, he bought a house 10 doors down the street.

The next 30 days were rough but I tried to keep things light as I didn't want our relationship to end. He was my best friend who I pictured myself growing old with as we are in our 30's. He was hot some minutes and cold others and just kept saying "he needed space" and "was confused." And what confused him most was the two weeks we didn't talk were the happiest he's been in a long time because life was less complicated.

He moved out the weekend before Christmas I offered to try and help him pack and setup his new house and he said no. And when he left he slammed the door and didn't even say goodbye. Tried texting him "Merry Christmas" and "Happy New Year's" and got no responses. And tried contacting him a couple of times and got nothing.

It has been 6 weeks. I've tried to keep busy but feel extremely empty and miss him and the boys. I finally got to see one of the boys in passing last week. His mom who I used to talk to won't even return my calls. I feel like my whole family and best friend have disappeared.

On Friday I stopped by his house and took cookies and finally got to see his other son. I can honestly say I have never seen a man so uncomfortable in all his life. I showed up in great spirits trying to keep the mood light and cheery. He backed up into the furthest corner of his house he could and would just spew out random blubberings about what he is doing at every second and who he has been doing it with. Is there any hope this can be recovered?
+1 y
Here's some more info since it got cut off. Also when he told me he never loved me he said he saw the email and "read the writing on the wall" and thought he and the boys were going to be living out of a car because he didn't have any family in town.
+1 y
I can understand that. His ramblings were all things I knew already (but he didn't know I knew) like he went out to dinner with his ex (who hates him) and the boys to celebrate an award and he had another meeting with a woman from school on a PTA issue.
+1 y
He also came from a very dysfunctional family where his ex wife cheated on him and everyone is divorced. My parents have been married for 42 years and no one is divorced. We became friends right after his divorce and started dating about a year after.
0
3