I broke up with my suicidal gf?

she said she cuts and thought about killing herself and i didn't like it so i broke up with her. is tha bad? i dont want to be with someone who is mentally unstable. she said im the only reason she wakes up in the morning

1619

Most Helpful Girl

• I was suicidal for a while and my boyfriend supported me through the whole ordeal. I was having family issues and the thoughts plagued me forever. I eventually got better because of him. In my opinion that was a little insensitive. You choirs have supported her, but if she was making you uncomfortable then that was the right thing to do for your own good.

• I was already planning on ending it because I didn't see a future

• Ok but try to make sure she gets help. You don't have to stay with her but still.

Most Helpful Guy

• If you like tried to make her quit cutting, and such. Because yeah if you love someone, seeing that person hurt, is torture.
    And she still cuts herself, after you making it clear you wanted it to stop, without ANY change :/
    Then I'd probably leave too

What Girls Said 15

• No, is not bad. Maybe a little insensitive, but u nver have to subject urself to anything that ur not ok with...

• If I were to date someone who wants to kill themselves I would. I would because it would just feel uncomfortable. You did the right thing.

• This is not bad, you are not obliged or responsible for her mental instability. If you are still friends with her, maybe try to get her some help, such as telling the school counsellor about her behaviour or her parents.

• I've been in her position before. I literally was only ever happy when my boyfriends were around and once they broke up with me I started to cut and overdose...
    This was when I was 15-16.

I'm 21 now. I lived through it and so can she, she just has some demons to fight.

Don't feel obligated to stay with her just because she has a mental illness... when she gets some psychiatric help she'll understand that you couldn't continue seeing her because you felt uncomfortable staying with someone who was unstable.

• Personally i would think it should depend on how long you have been together, if you have been together for years it's a but harsh but I understand why it would be hard for you

• Oh that's terrible for y'all. I'm really sorry. Have you talked to her about seeking help? I don't blame you for wanting out. She needs to get help. It's nothing to be ashamed of. Who cares what others negative thoughts are.

• That's tough to be around. I don't blame you. She has issues unrelated to you and that's an unhealthy level of codependency

• Yeah Its best to tell someone and than move on!

• its not bad. she needs to take care of herself.

• being someone who's lost a relationship because i'm suicidal, i try to look to my boyfriend for support that i'm worthy of life and i don't deserve to die, so you breaking up with her probably sent her spiraling into the deep dark hole that is depression

• You're never responsible for someone else's actions. Just remember that.

• Oh my god! She needs support and love...

• someone else's problems are not a reason to stay in the relationship. I would of done the same thing.

• It's not bad. The fact that she told you what she did means that she is most likely manipulative and was trying to make you stay with her. You are not responsible for her life. Never let her or anyone else make you feel like you are. That would be an emotional and mental prison for you, which then turns into a physical prison. Healthy relationships are better for both people.

• You can't let someone hold you hostage in a relationship like that. You could never be happy.

What Guys Said 18

• You can't live a life of emotional blackmail. She most probably needs professional help to sort her problems out. It's way to much for us ordinary mortals to cope with. We just don't have the experience. I guess that if she was already having counselling, I would stick with her to give her encouragement, but relying on you alone is too much responsibility.

• i feel like i would be the reason for her suicide if she did it now

• It may be the incentive she needs to seek proper help.

• Well you shouldn't be guilt-tripped into a relationship, so technically this isn't either right or wrong, it just is what it is.

• Well, I'm sorry to hear about your girlfriend. Nobody wants a bipolar partner. Trust me, I know. If you feel like helping her, you can advocate that indirectly via her parents or her closer friends. But DO NOT make close contact with her. She'll try to enforce an attachment. But since you say she is suicidal, you really ought to tell parents/guardian to get her some serious psychiatric attention. If you're still concerned about her, you can check on her parents, but obviously not directly, at least not until a shrink gives the green light. Also if you just don't care, you can ignore everything I said.

• Good for you.

• thanks?

• Yeah some people won't dump their suicidal girlfriends cause they think it'll trigger them. But those suicidal people need to solve their own personal problems before dragging someone else in.

• You do what you gotta do man. I would have done the same

• No I don't think so. You can't be with someone who you're not actually comfortable with.

• Been there done that.

It`s quite common for both genders to threaten by taking their own life, especially during breakups. Close to 99% are bluffing, so the statistics are on your side my friend!

The best way to handle this is to tell her parents/close friends and be done with it. Have no contact and never string along someone that has made that statement. "We might be a couple later on if you stop being suicidal, k?" - that doesen`t have a nice ring to it does it? It also gives a false sense of motivation, the motivation to stop being suicidal shouldn`t be you, because, if it is you, what then happens if you leave her a second time? Exactly... As they say in monopoly: *you f***** up, please go back to the beginning and start over*

Anyways - by telling people that are real close to her everything you will A) Help them get her the help that she actually needs, or B) Call her bluff.

She will go on, and so will you. It`s better for her to get over all the drama and meet someone new that will see her for who she IS, not who she WAS.

My two cents and a nickle.

• Running away screaming is justified in such cases.

• No it doesn't make you a horrible person but you should do everything in your power to make sure she gets help

• i kinda just ran away

• You need to help her to get help.
      Let me put it this way, You posted this question probably because you feel guilty.
      She will probably live a normal life if she gets help. If you don't want to constantly wonder if there was anything you could have done to help. Then you need to try to help her.
      If you do, then in twenty years from now, when she is quite probably married with kids, you will know you did help her

• And no its not an easy thing to do. No its not fair, but if you want your if this question is anything to go by, then you want your conscious clear.
      The right thing is often neither pleasant nor easy.

• hmm i do think it is yes, because if you really liked her, you would have tried to help her at least.

• Being with a suicidal girl friend is walking on egg shells. I would ask her to receive counseling.

• i told her i might date her again after she solves her problems

• I would certainly get her help, even though you broke up with her. You can still care for a person without necessarily being involved with them.

• I mean I wouldn't break up with her for it but if it made u feel weird u were justified in doing it.

• It's not bad. The threat of her suicide is sad, however it isn't your fault and you shouldn't have to be the one to be punished for it.

• Be with him it's not a great thing u have done she feel so hurt u know that

• She's probably dead now

• You're a wuss who can't deal with a real woman. That's not a bad thing, it's just important to know.

• lmao im a wuss right? your 45+ who do you think you are mate im a fuckin mma fighter so if you wanna see if im a wuss come over here so i can shuv your arm up ur ass u old prick

• You think you can break my arm? How about I break your fucking skull asshole? Or would that be considered child abuse?

• break my skull i dareee u your gonna break your fuckin back trying to get here

• now you killed her for sure... .