Is it normal to be depressed for a whole year after breaking up with your first love?

I just feel incredibley lonely. I stay home most days. I work... Go to school. I haven't really connected with people at all. I feel like I can't.. It's going to be a year soon since she left. I'm getting over it but there's just some days where it honestly kills me.

610

Most Helpful Girl

• There's no time limit or re. edu for a broken heart. Sometimes time just helps you to learn to live with the pain , and helps you to find a way of surviving without them.

Time doesn't heal a broken heart... it's what you do with your time which heals it. Keeping busy and your mind focused on things other than her will help your feelings to fade, and gradually the pain will not feel so raw. It isn't a case of getting over it... it's a case of finding a way through it.

There comes a time when you have to accept that some people can stay in your heart but not in your life. You have no choice but to accept it's over. If you don't you will suffer emotionally for a long time

Most Helpful Guy

• We've all been there

• I feel like I'm the only one and it sounds silly. Do you think if its been this long and I'm still depressed I should see a therapist?

• I don't like being a loner honestly hate it. Are you a loner by choice?

• Yes I am. I've learned the fewer people in my life the more peaceful my life is

What Girls Said 5

• I never had similar expirience, but I know people who did.
    Sometimes, things won't solve by themselves, and you need to have the courage and willpower to change them.

• I've had the exact same experience and unfortunately am living through the pain on every year anniversary he did or said something that reminds me of a terrible moment of the entire thing.

• Yup, totally normal for your first. It took me two years, and even continued for the first few months into a new relationship, but I am completely over my first love now. Some people hold a special place in their heart for their first love, but I don't. I believe that it often takes a new relationship to get over your last. You can be happy without being a relationship, of course, but you'll still think about the last person until your thoughts are filled by someone else, or a career.

• It's hard😑

• Going through the same thing myself. We were together almost a year. Shit stings man.

What Guys Said 9

• Well I'd never been depressed for a long time period over a break-up, but I've certainly lacked "closure" for long periods of time. // I'd say talk to friends. Try to come to grips with it. Sometimes some of the old sayings work, such as "if someone from your past doesn't make it to your future, BE GLAD", etc. // See a therapist if you need to. // Realize that it is not always "personal". Perhaps you or she just needed to "move on".

• Ther are people who never recover from breaking up with a first love. Maybe all of us never TOTALLY get over it since our first love, is the LAST thing we will ever forget.

• It's is normal in your case.
    Because you don't deal with other people, you just have one reference tothink about. Your ex.

If you made friends, or get to know other people, your mind will loss itself beetween various people, lowing your bad memories.

• If it was a long relationship it is normal. the longer the relationship the longer it takes to get over it.

• get help.. seek advice from your doctor. as soon as it becomes too much to cope with everyday events.. its time to get some help.. i did so myself and im on the slow road of recovery. it takes time like most worthwhile things do.

• Um... for ladies it is...

• Yes man sorry

• Message me to talk

• A year is long time but if you feel better every month I think you will move on soon you must surround your self with your friends and focus on some hobbies