My ex split up with me a week ago, saying 'it's not you, it's me' and that he 'just doesn't want a relationship right now' out of the blue?

My ex split up with me a week ago. He asked to come round as normal, on a Friday like we always do. He then was being really off and asked if we could talk. He said he feels 'it's the end of the road' and said I'm amazing and that's 'it's not you, it's me'. He then said he 'just doesn't want a relationship, or anything right now'. The weeks leading up to it I noticed our conversations would get shorter and shorter. However, the week before was my birthday and he took me out and bought me 2 nice gifts. He didn't make any effort to book anywhere himself though. He just kept saying 'where do you want to go? Book somewhere' so I did and we went. On the Saturday he seemed to want to rush off after we had drinks and said he was going home to 'work on his essay and play Xbox'. It was supposed to be my birthday weekend so of course this hurt. I just cannot understand what went wrong, it's like we broke up without a real reason. To add to the confusion, he continued to follow me on social media. Whereas I unfollowed him immediately, and now he finally has. I just want closure on to why this ended. And because I was so hurt inside when he was breaking up with me, I didn't shed a tear and agreed with him because I would hate for him to see me hurt as I would feel weak. Have I done the wrong thing by agreeing when really I'm so cut up inside?
2
3