Can I get arrested for holding a Cat hostage?

My girlfriend and I broke up last week and she left some of her things at my place like her cat.
At first I was going to set it free to get back at her for cheating but I've become very fond of it.

She called me telling me she wants "him" back but I tell her she'll "get him back when I get my humility". She's even come to my house, but I've locked the door every time.
Can I be legally prosecuted?

48

Most Helpful Girl

• Have some dignity and just give the cat back !

You're making yourself look terrible and extremely butt hurt.

please get back your dignity and do the right thing !

• I am hurt though and cats are great companions.
      Yeah, I probably do sound insane...

• I guess, thanks.

• No problem <3

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 3

• yup. you can get in big trouble for that.

• You're just making yourself look pathetic, give the cat back to her.

• If it's her cat , legally you have to give it back. She can take you to court to get it back. If she can't prove it's her you can't be arrested. It would have to be distputed in court

What Guys Said 7

• the FBI, CIA & INTERPOL are on you bro.

• Yes you can.

• Yes, because that cat is her property, so you might get charged for stealing.

• LMFAO what if a bunch of snipers are targeting you right jow

• Fuck her. Be one with the cat and take over the world.

• That's pretty funny. I wouldn't give that slut shit.

• I'm not sure about that but demanding something like money or property in general holding it for something in return may fall under extortion or blackmail. Just be careful and don't say do what I tell you to or the cat gets it as that would probably up the ante a little.

• It's more like:
      Her: Gimmi my cat
      Me: no

• True!

What am I doing? I'm supposed to be the bigger person!

• What it is is you don't want to let her go which is understandable. Me when I broke up with a girl I had bought them some nice things top of the line car stereo for example. I didn't ask for any of it back I didn't want it back for reasons the stuff was never intended to be mine anyway 1, and what was I going to do with it anyway? But to put the icing on the cake here is why you don't want to take anything back especially if you still have feelings for her. And that's because every time she sees it and she probably will she'll think of you. And sooner or later she'll probably want you back but you moved on and that's your justice.