Can you be happy dating someone new but still be in love someone else?

My ex started dating a new girl not long after him and I broke up after we dated for 2 years. It's been a year now since we broke up and he seems happy with her and acts like he has no intentions of them breaking up anytime soon, but when I see him out (we go to the same college), he always comes up to me and brings up old things from our past. He flirts with me and gives me a hard time. He even texts me sometimes and calls me sometimes late at night just to talk to me. He always talks about how his mom loves me and she asks about me, he teases me, flirts with me, brings up old stuff, calls me the old nickname he called me when we dated. Yet he never says anything about actually being with me again or still being in love with me. I'm confused as to why he is dating someone else and seems content, but continues to do things like this.

52

Most Helpful Guy

• No, that is not possible. Logically speaking NO. I mean if you are dating someone else while you love someone means it's clear you actually don't love that person otherwise you wouldn't even think of dating someone else.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm curious to see what every one has yet to say. I think the answer is yes, because I have been there. Except I don't know if I will call it "happy". I guess I was just satisfied while dating that someone else. I knew in the back of my mind that I still missed and loved my ex, and I actually was dating someone else to get my mind off of him. Did you break up with him? Or other way around?

I think he may have feelings for you. To be honest with you, sometimes they linger. He may be trying to be playing games with you as well. Either way, its affecting you so I say you either confront him or cut things off. You'll never know what he's really thinking until you ask. I just wouldn't risk to assume.

What Guys Said 1

• Not really. You'll have guilt. Trust me. It won't be truly happy. Leave them, and confess.

What Girls Said 4

• If I were you... I would cut ties with him. He is just stringing you along.

• Yep this is a classic case of someone trying to have their cake and eat it too... I agree with this comment ;)

• Ego boost or you both aren't on the same page! Move on sister.

• Do you still want to be with him? If so ask him why he does this and tell him you'd be interested in getting back together.

• I am now at this situation... my date told me that he still has feeling to his ex who just came back to my country for holidays, they meet very often, i can see the strong connection between them. However, he said he likes me as well, which makes me quite confused, seriously i hope he can just let me go and don't say he likes me. It makes me really painful.