Feeling super guilty after breaking up?

First of all I regret it at the same time I know it was the right thing. I can't stop feeling guilty though especially when he took it harder than I thought he ever would. I feel like I don't have the right to be happy and I'm scared that karma is gonna catch upon me. I feel like I'm not allowed to look at him or be at the same place as him, I feel like an awful person. I haven't broken up with anyone before so I didn't do it the best way either and that makes me feel even more guilty.

11

What Guys Said 1

• Don't feel guilty about it. Sometimes in life we make very hard and tough choices. If it wasn't meant to be it wasn't meant to be. You had to do what was best for you.

What Girls Said 1

• Well there must be a reason why you feel that way? Maybe you didn't thought it through? Maybe you weren't sure about the breakup? Maybe you were confused and you just needed some time apart?

Was it something that he did? Was it something that you did? Every breakup has a reason, and it has to be a big one, because if it was a small one then it's probably gonna hunt you for awhile.

So, why did you breakup?

I never felt guilty for breaking up, nor did I regret it. I felt sad for awhile for them, but ultimately happy and relieved for doing it. But then again, I only dumped 2 guys in my life. First one was when I was very young and stupid (I regret it and tried to get him back, but he didn't want to, so I moved on. He found another girlfriend soon after and they are now happily married), and other guy I dumped because his family hated me and were making my life miserable. He wasn't on my side so fuck him. All the other times I was the one being dumped.

• I wasn't in love with him. I liked him a lot but I didn't feel true love and I didn't see a future with him, I don't know why but I just didn't. I'm still young and want to travel, grow as a person and maybe even move away. I think I've begun to miss him and maybe regret it but let's say if I were to take him back I don't think it would change that I just don't love him. I still have feelings for him and it makes it hard for me.

• You are being too picky. I don't understand people these days, what are you expecting, a perfection? If you have an imaginary list in your head how yours "the one" should be like, then you are dead wrong and stupid. I don't understand how can you like a person and be into him and then one day realize you don't love him? I could understand if he didn't treat you right, but there probably was something there since you got into a relationship with him in the first place. If you are aware that you are young and want to travel and move away, you should've never gotten into a serious relationship, with anyone. I don't know how long you were together, but if it was longer then 5 months then it is your fault and you should feel guilty. Not for hurting him, but for making a wrong decision for yourself. Hope you learned from that mistake. I think you are feeling guilty because your mature subconscious is aware that you let go of a good thing, and if you were in your 30's you wouldn't let go.

• I'm not picky. I liked him to begin with but as it got more serious I realized that I didn't love him the same way he loved me and it's not because I have perfect picture of the one, I can't force love. About him not treating me right, he did flirt with other girls a lot and in front of my face. I didn't like it. I think that is what put me off mostly.