What does it mean if exes can stay friends?

With a considerable period of no contact, what does it mean when two exes can forgive eachother and be good friends again?

23

Most Helpful Guy

• It means it was a cordial breakup without a lot of hate and drama. If they remain friends, it's about mutual respect and friendship, but they just don't want to be in a relationship. There are lots of reason for people to separate besides hating each other.

What Guys Said 2

• In my opinion, I don't think two exes can remain friends. One, or both will always want something more. And most new people they are dating will not be okay with "oh, he/she is my ex, but we are best friends now".

• Exes are exes for reason. What about when one of you fall in love again? Some one will get hurt either start dating again if you both like each other that much. Or just stay clear of each other fine new friends

What Girls Said 2

• It means that one is being selfish and other one is being stupid.

If you can be friends with an ex, you can be in a relationship with them as well. It's a thin line and there's really not much difference. Depends what you consider a friend. I have 3 friends. Others are just someone I know. For me, an ex can stay someone I know, but he can't stay a friend, he loses that title when we break up.

• Personally, I believe if two people who've had a history together can remain friends after a breakup, they were either never in love or they still are.

I would never have contact with an ex because it just complicates future relationships. I'm all for moving forward and on with my life.

Obviously if the couple have kids together they have no choice but to be civil with one another and stay in regular contact for their kids' sake.