Do you think there is a correlation between a couple's age gap and divorce?

I was reading this article earlier today saying that the smaller the age gap, the less chances of a divorce. Do you agree with it?
In my surrounding I've seen many types of scenarios that worked or failed. My Dad is 11 years older than Mom and they've been married for 20+ Years. My aunt is a year older than her husband and they've been also married for 20+.
Do you think there is a certain tendency?
Here's the article:
https://www.cosmopolitan.com/sex-love/news/a33138/age-gap-bad-for-marriage/
Share your opinion :) x

111

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't know because I really don't know the age of most adults or people that are married. So I have no idea how big the age gap is between most divorced.

I guess it could make sense. A lot of people always talk about how they need someone older because they're more mature than the people their age (irl I've found people who say this are actually pretty immature and are just projecting their own immaturity onto those around them) and so they get in a relationship with someone older and then the maturity differences eventually make themselves known and cause issues.

Most Helpful Girl

• as you mentioned in your description it s not true. I don t agree.
    why? cause there are a lot of factors to consider here.
    It differs in each country according to tradition, culture, norms...
    each person is different, lifestyle is different, maturity isn t related to age always.
    People have different needs...
    Maybe a girl likes a paternal figure as a father etc...
    it s just to vague of a topic to put in numbers.

What Guys Said 10

• On the surface yes it probably has some merit here. To figure this out youd need to have large amounts of data and use variables that will explain a divorce or not having one. Each culture and country might have different variables that either increase the chance of divorces or doesn't.

I can't say its true but on average i think it make a lot of sense.

Think of this way, Lets say if you dont agree with the article at all, meaning you dont agree large age gaps can increase divorce rates. Does that mean small age gaps and large age gaps have a similar impact on the couple? Hummm

P. s in your case, the article also says that the longer you are married, the chances of divorce go down drastically, even if there is a large age gap, such as you mom and dad

• Perhaps. My parents are only two years apart and they're still married after almost 20 years despite the extremely high rate of divorce that their demographic has, especially as teenagers who had me a couple years before they got married. I think being together for so long and spending most of their formative years together probably made them less likely to divorce.

On the other hand, I've seen many cases where a younger woman leaves an older man once he runs out of money, or conversely where an older man abandons his similarly aged wife for a young woman because his hormones got the better of them. In either case, I think culture and societal pressures like religion and economics may play a larger role in the divorce rate than age gap.

• I hate it when news source certain articles online, but always fail to link the. pdf page of said study. Why? Because most news-outlets take things out of it's context just to have a headline.

• And before you say there is a link - it links to another online newsoutlet. The definition of circlejerking and makes my fear of it being taken out of context even more likely.

• Ok, because I was curious I tried my googling skills to see what I can find with the names and university given in the NYPost article your cosmopolitan link refers to.

In case you are interested I found the original study (you can download the. pdf for free there even though at first it asks you for your registered account): papers.ssrn.com/.../papers.cfm?abstract_id=2501480

And the guy who analysed the data: www.randalolson.com/.../

www.randalolson.com/.../

In the second link he removed the chart about age differences saying "Note: A previous version of this article showed a chart giving specific relative percent likelihoods of divorce occurring based on number of years married. The original authors of the study have pointed out that although there is a significant correlation between wider age gaps and increased divorce, it is not possible to determine the relative percent likelihood from their study. That is left to future research."

• Additionally it was an online survey and for online surveys there is always reason to be questioning about how representative it is.

Anyway, I can see a reason of decreased likelihood that a marriage doesn't work with a big age-difference - more often when younger girls marry older guys due to some sort of daddy-issues. It still has a certain importance of understanding the context which unfortunately the data doesn't offer. Would be interesting to get to know more about the topic, but as it seems there isn't much reliable data about it.

• I think it's true
    being closer in age means a similar level of maturity, more likely to have similar interests and closer in terms of looks.

how much that has an influence... I don't know. but a bigger age gap doesn't automatically mean a high risk of divorce of course. my dad is 10 years older than my mom too... I think that's still not that much, especially now where they are 70/60. the older you get the less relevant the age gap is

• Unfortunately Things has completely changed since then! the writer of this article used recent statistics of today's relationships to come up with this conclusion. As @archiz said "It differs in each country according to tradition, culture, norms etc" which I believe it plays a major role in the durability of marriage unions.

• No. The media is pushing the idea there is this correlation between couple's with age gaps and divorce because the media doesn't approve mainly of older men marrying younger women. If you pay close attention you will catch on which it looks like you have already.

• Only very rarely but yes it does happen

• hmm well looks like i have no choice, guess i gotta put a ring on it

• I dont think that both of these things are neccessarily relevant... as u gotta make some changes in ur routine or in ur habits after marriage, you gotta tolerate things etc etc... when u cross a certain age limit.. i think its difficult to change urself or to understand things different from ur own pov... so this may be a reason for divorces due to age gap... dont know more than this :)

• Anyone who dates someone more than two years older or younger is begging for heartbreak. Kidding. As you get older, you see that you like having a husband/wife who grew up at the same time you did. In a world that changes so fast, it's really comforting to have a partner who comes from the same era you did.

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!