How long did it take you to get over somebody?

I know it usually varies person by person, but how long did it take you to get over somebody?

811

Most Helpful Girl

• It doesn't take me too long because I don't dwell over spilled milk; me wallowing over the fact that someone doesn't/no longer loves me is a waste of my happiness and time.

• I think it's a blessing to you that you don't take very long.

Respectfully, your choice of words does seem to imply that people who do take longer to get over someone are doing it consciously and/or intentionally. As if they are dwelling and wallowing (both words that imply conscious action and intent). There are correlations between handling rejection and brain anatomy. There are correlations between handling rejection and being abused.

Most people who are not over a rejection, however long that may be, are not wallowing or dwelling over spilled milk.

• The words wallowing and dwelling definitely imply intent.

That's why most therapists generally don't use them anymore.

• I'm not a therapist.

Most Helpful Guy

• I was with my wife for 4 years and she left me 10 months ago, I didn't do well with it at all, after 6 months I decided to end Mt life and sat onto of a railway bridge waiting for the next train to jump down infront but somebody saw me and called the police, I got locked up under the mental health act. I lost my family, my home, my business, everything I had, I was broke and started doing drugs again and drinking a lot. Then I got with my new girlfriend 10 weeks ago, I love her and our relationship is great but I still have days where I think I want my ex back and wish it was different, but I know this will pass now, I see the light ahead.

What Girls Said 7

• I have yet to get completely over my ex. I made a break through though the beginning of the month, I got excited about a good looking guy w/out feeling the cloud of sadness over me. I live every day, sometimes pining for my ex, others not.

• May I ask how long it's been since you broke up with your ex? How long were you with your ex?

• @Bluemax it has been a couple months and we went out for close to a year. Then again he is my 1st serious boyfriend for whom I fell pretty deeply in love w/.

• It's gonna take me a long time to get over my most recent. Like, a really fucking long time. It took me 8 or so years to get over someone I had less of a relationship with.

So... I'm fucked.

• Perhaps not. Perhaps age might have given you more resilience.

• @teawrecks I still have strong feelings for someone I met 7 months ago and spent a total of less than two weeks with them, completely non-sexual. Best time of my life so far. They haven't spoken to me since August.

• It took you 8 years to get over somebody from when you were 15?
      I think you don't really understand what real heartbreak is.

• I am trying right now! I really did like him!

• I don't get over feelings they just fade enough to move on
    5 grade crush moved on 6 grade

6 grade crush moved on last year

• So it took about 9 years to get over your 6th grade crush. Did something happen which made it easier?

• @Bluemax he didn't reject me we was after me since the first time he saw me and I liked him but didn't make it obvious all the years til i turn 18 in summer for the first time i made it obvious in a bold way that i was attracted to him we slept togethe and after tht he just blocked me out of his life

• I hope you find peace soon.

• Hm I am starting to get over him... It's been almost 6 months. The pain subsided but I still think about him sometimes.

The other guy took about a year to get over him.

• I've had about 3 serious boyfriends in my highschool and college years. Who I dated each of them over a year.

Honestly I think it varies, it's taken me over 6 months to get over each of them. But, I didn't look into dating again till a little over a year after. honestly I think it varies on how long y'all were dating..

• Don't know exactly but I'd say more than a year. still thought about them several months later. Til one day I just didn't think of them at all

What Guys Said 10

• 4-6 weeks depending on how much my heart was into her.

When it takes a short period of time (1-3 days), that means I pursued her for all the wrong reasons. Unfortunately I've done it twice, going for the "easy yes" because my ego needed a boost. Shameful.

• About 5 minutes. Sometimes I leave after fucking a girl and think 'maybe I just fucked and chucked the one', but by the time I get to the foyer of her apartment building those feelings are largely gone, and by the first drag of my cigarette I'm completely over her.

• Long enough to know I was hurting myself. Hence, moving on.

• That depends on the nature of the relationship. A month or two.

• I am not, nor will I ever be, completely over my wife.

• I still have strong feelings for someone I met 7 months ago and spent a total of less than two weeks with them, completely non-sexual. Best time of my life so far. They haven't spoken to me since August.

• 5 months later, and I'm still not over her.

• I can't just get over somebody. Some people will always be a part of me and whenever I get sentimental with some booze or beer I cherish them.

• Depends on how better u understand the situation... sometimes its better to get over somebody... took me near about a year (and... a lot of drugs ;)

• 9 months to get over my first love 😁

• I never get over people I love just learn to live with the pain of them gone.