Why divorce rate is so high in USA?

I'm from an Asian country and I only have one friend whose parents divorced here.
But in USA I saw a lot of cupples who got divorced!

Why? Divorce is not a big deal in USA?

1324

Most Helpful Guy

• People used to get married with the intention of staying married. It was more about security and providing a proper environment to raise children than it is today, whereas "love" is what most people do it for presently. Now everything has been tainted by the "throw-away" culture, including marriage. You don't like your spouse? Well, divorce them and get a new one more to your liking, because it's all about YOU. And, just like a purchase, many people rush into a marriage when they shouldn't have, and the couple breaks up. The kids get the brunt of divorce, but quite a few parents don't seem to care much about that.

• Yeah that might be true. Are you for it or agianst it?

• Sounds like you'll be fine then lol

• @KawaiiPie67 Yep. I look forward to seeing the looks on gold diggers faces when I tell them, "Oh, honey, I'm not going back to the States; I moved here to stay." ;-)

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it's cause people just think if something isn't working instead of trying to fix it they just get rid of it, personally I'm from the USA and I don't believe in divorce

What Guys Said 23

• Because it's a way of getting money... :O hahaha jk jk xD

I think the reason is because finding someone who you can spend the rest of your life with isn't easy, and many people think they have found the right person, they get married early, and then find out they married the wrong person.
    Many people get married way too fast.

Also, in America (Western world in general), people tend to put their happiness first which means if they're unhappy with that person, they're gonna get out of there. This in Asian countries doesn't happen too often, they'd rather stay unhappy but married, than happy and divorced.

• I see. So it's a cultural thing

• Divorce rates are actually decreasing in America. They spiked really high around the time when women were fighting for equality. I did a paper on this for sociology. Now that that things like gender roles and expectations are starting to balance out so has the divorce rate. I'm sure you could find a lot of information online.

• Divorce rates has been getting lower for about 30-40 years now. Don't get your data wrong. Most people getting the divorce has been married for a while. If you think about it, people nowadays don't get divorce because they just got married. It's the people 10-40 years ago who are not happy with their marriage are going to the lawyers.

Asian countries have more of a family tradition. East Asia is heavily influenced by Confucius and arranged marriages. There is strong code for how men and women should act in a marriage. Divorces are failed as failed families. If you come from a big family, divorces will be extremely problematic. It's like an embarrassment to the family.

Just don't go all ga ga over traditional Asian women. The really traditional women can be really good wives if you are willing to live as the perfect husband. As in, she takes over your budget and manages it like a pro - 'hand over the paycheck' moments. You will have an allowance instead of your salary. She will also make you eat food she thinks are healthy by cooking for you whether you like the food or not. Practical, frugal and supportive (very close to commanding).

• Whoa, the wife taking over the budget, and giving the guy an allowance is common? I've seen it in my fam, but I didn't know it was a thing. Where did the idea come from?

• eh... it's sort of old school. The woman's virtue was supposed to be taking care of the house and the family while the husband would venture out there and do things. That means she has to build a home base. Raise the kids and well... do all the domestic things. The house is where you keep all your stuff so a good wife would be guarding that stuff against everything including the husband.

The husband is like the CEO. He gets to be the head of the house and make all the decision regarding the fate of the family. The wife is like the CFO. She takes over the budget and put the husband in his place once he gets out of control (like spend too much, drink too much, play too much).

Families with old traditions will generally support the idea of the wife keeping the budget. They will also help the wife keep the husband from getting too lose. Unless they are a bad family then it's the reverse.

• I doubt if anyone really knows the answer to that. But I think it can be summarized as people not taking marriage seriously any more. They don't see anything wrong with divorce, so if things aren't going well, there is no reason to stay in the relationship.

When I was younger it was the same as you. Growing up I only knew one kid whose parents were divorced. That's all changed now.

• Oh I see. That's sad

• Children will have a hard time when their parents get divorced.

The couples should put up with each other more and try to accept each other before jumping to divorce.
      It seems like when they find only one thing or a few things they don't like about their partner, they would feel like unhappy.

• I was intentionally leaving kids out of it. :)
      That completely changes things. And unfortunately it hurts a lot of children.

I wasn't really talking about couples divorcing for minor things. I meant couples who are miserable in their marriage.

• IT'S EASY!!! EASY EASY EASY!

All I ever hear here, is about getting dating experience. Date, then date some more and again and again and again. By the time you get married, you've dated so much in the past, that you end up doing it again and breaking up and getting a divorce for whatever stupid childish reason.

- My guess is also, no communication ever. I mean if you broke up for whatever reason, then why didn't you talk about it when you first started dating. If you wanted sex 5 times a day, then why didn't you talk about it in the past instead of cheating on our spouse or whatever. I'm sure there are a million excuses, but I'm sure there all stupid.

• 50% divorce where 69% women initiate divorce and at least 33% of fathers raise children that are not theirs. It's getting worse with infidelity sites like Ashley Madison and tinder. STD's are on the rise too. In this country, generally women want to take take take then tell the guy "you have two hands make dinner yourself". The feminists say they are equal but they want the benefits of chivalry and not the responsibility. A lot of women are hellbent and desperate to settle down in their late 20's early 30's that they choose a guy they might not like much but who is stable and marry him. Sex dies quickly in the marriage, the girl cuts her hair and chunks up. Then says she is tired for sex and then by the time you know it, there is infidelity and then a kid. Then the divorce where she takes at least half. On top of that, the guy is paying child support if there is a kid. Marriage back then was different than today. There was abuse in marriages back then, some people stayed for financial convenience, there was infidelity, and a stigma for divorcing. Today is a different ball game. There is no benefit for a man to get married.

• Why all about sex? Why they only pursue their won pleasure? That sounds like they are too selfish and lack of sense of responsibility of marriage and their kids to me

• Well there is a lack of responsibility. The main reason is communication. They don't communicate so that starts issues. Imagine starting up a company and you work so hard over 23 years to make 5 billion dollars and reach the Fortune 500 complained. You decide to marry a girl and within the next five years she divorces you and takes at least half.

• The sad thing out of all of this image the kids being affected negatively.

• The pill, feminism, and all that.

• What?

• What? ...

• Unpopular opinion, but I think that promiscuity plays a role.

• People rushing into marriage without knowing each other while governed by sexist gender roles and gender ideals, so they end up realizing that it's bad for them and blame their partner they barely even know, they divorce, then try again to fail again miserably. It's like people going from one abusive relationship to another...

• We're an increasingly materialistic society. I think that's a small part of it. Heck, even the more traditionally religious areas of the country are experiencing high divorce rates.

https://big.assets.huffingtonpost.com/Divorce_1.png

• Marriage rates seem to have started increasing a lot around the same time first wave feminism came about. Hmmm, correlation!

• @BritGuy212 Did you mean *decreased*?

If so, I think that's more to do with economy, as the graph suggests.

• Yes, decreased*. I guess I thought I wrote "divorce rates". However, that's not a good thing. More labour force = less wages. Even liberals' hero, Karl Marx said that.

• It's a combination of a lot of little things but mostly it has to do with people getting married why to young, thinking their in love and getting married before they can financially stable enough to take care of them themselves much less another person.

Getting married young also makes it harder for men and women to resist temptation. A lack of sound morals and values also contributed to this.

• In modern American culture it's commonplace to take very few things seriously and to also foolhardedly rush into everything, relationships and marriage being the most common occurrences. And when people rush into something they don't even take seriously, it's bound to end in failure. I'm sure there are many other reasons as to why it happens so often, but from what I've seen it's primarily what I've mentioned.

• At what age many Asmericans marry?

• It used to be 18-25, but I think the age is a little higher now, maybe going as high as 30 for the most common ages. But, I think age doesn't play much of a role, as people nowadays are continuing to remain immature even into their 30s. Many years ago most people were supporting whole families by 20, now they're still partying and being "young" into their mid to late 20s, disposition and modern culture play a huge role in that though.

• 0|0
    • People have dated so many people that they think they can find the embodiment of all the good qualities of everyone they've been with, with none of the bad.

They believe finding something better is easy.

• People get married too young. People think their in love when their not. People are lazy and they don't fight for love.

• Because feminism.

• its the fault of feminism. the usa is filled with brain washed women

• Fools preemptively marry the wrong person here.

• Because lots of people marry really young or marry for the reasons.

• men and women cheat to much so why get married

• Selfish baby boomers

• People marry for the wrong reasons or too young, or the women cheats.

• they are not afraid to leave comfort zone , to invest better life on future.
    i mean , it is much better to get divorced than stay on unhappy marriage.

• Children won't be happy.

• u r right , children often become the victim of selfish behavior from adults..

• That's because people of US usually care only about sex, and have no value for love or emotional bonding. That's the reason they change partners as frequently as changing clothes, and get divorced left and right.

• Wah that sounds really selfish. They don't even care about their kids?

• Wow in my county, a lot of people don't get divorce for their kids even if they don't love each other so much...
      That's sad

• It's the same in my country too.

In US though, there have been cases where people get divorced within days of marrying!

What Girls Said 12

• Why divorce rate is so high in USA?
    In my opinion:
    - people marry an ill suited partner

-money

- gals realize the fantasy of marriage (a guy who will love her and remain loyal) is far far far far far from the reality (guy who expects her to compromise and sacrifice with his only one being he gave up sex with others)

- guy cheated

- gal wants to cheat. Studies seem to show that experienced gals often are unhappy in their marriage because of the sh*tty sex which they know is sh*tty because they had great/good sex before. While inexperienced gals have nothing to little to draw on so they're 'good' as in ignorance is bliss.
    - gal cheated

• Divorce is not high in American. The media is lying, do your research first. The divorce rate is around 31% across our nation ( USA) not around or over 50%. Marriage is still alive today people... just as much as love is alive. Just because our generation changes does not mean our moral has too. Marriage is hard but its worth the effort to be with the one you love or is our new generation not comprehending this. Marriage is alive praise God.

• No. I actually saw a lot of people who got divorce. You should do some research. It's definitely hang her than other counties at least my country

• Compared to countries in Asia lol had to read her description again

• @Matchmaker7072

Your young but don't believe in what is in your surrounding. People make their own fate, either you fight for your marriage or give up and that's what most people do in this generations they give up. Don't be pessimistic, don't you want to be with someone who love you? Sure I can't see the people that disagree with me face to face (on this site). But I chose believe in the positive thing in life. Sometime I don't have the answers to everything and I stubble and fall and get hurt. But i learned. BUT I will never attack a persons, let it be social media or in persons who believe in the best of humanity. Because this world doesn't need another generations especially the young people to view this world so negatively. Believe what you want but remember you don't have to be like your parents. You could chose to make this world beautiful and safe or you could lend a hand to destructions and laid waste to your future. Because if we have not love, than we are nothing.

• I don't think many people take relationships, marriage or commitment that serious anymore. If there are problems many people aren't willing to work through them, instead ready to drop someone and find a new person. People have this weird fantasy of the "perfect" marriage and these unrealistic relationship goals that all over social media now. Infidelity, promiscuity, people want what they want and aren't willing to compromise. I strongly dislike divorce. When I finally get married I want it to be my only marriage and I want to last for the rest of our lives. I never want to break up my family like that. But if it gets to the point where things just can never work out then divorce may be the answer. But the very last choice on the list, like way at the bottom, never coming out of the trenches unless it really needs to.

• People are irresponsible. There are lots of spender/saver marriages, and people just can't control their spending or be mature enough to budget properly. Divorce is usually initiated by 1 partner; I haven't seen a mutual yet.

Basically 1 partner is a leech and the other can't take it anymore. Or the 1st partner thinks they found someone else to leech off of, so they initiate the divorce... and then their lives get even more dramatic.

• And for some reason it's usually women who do everything. Whether it's kicing the guy out or cheating or making the divorce happen. I don't know why.

• I am not sure. I think its because people struggle in working things out!

• It's culturally/socially more accepted to get divorced..

• Wow really. They really don't care about their kids?

• YES! Now can you please show me your chanel bag hahah! (: Or sent it to virginia! hahah

• Can you guys talk each other on message please?

• Because relationships are now seen as disposable and interchangeable.

• There's no God In their marriage nor are his rules in regards to relationships being followed.
    (Sex before marriage)
    And more
    In most cases

• Selfishness mainly

• It's because of feminists demonizing traditional family constructs and gender roles.

• Being married on paper doesn't mean a real relationship. I had friends from Ireland where people don't get divorced and several of their married parents actively hated each other. Some didn't even stay in the same house. Divorce rates where where divorce is legally or socially forbidden doesn't mean there are better marriages there.

• Yeah but why they don't choose to try to accept each other?

• Wah I'm sorry to hear what happened to you and I see!

• The divorce itself wasn't as painful as living amongst the fighting and whatnot. It was almost a relief to not live in a home where things could go from zero to crazy at any moment. That's why I have the perspective I do.

• A lot of people are marrying younger and more quickly, or for the wrong reasons.