My ex boyfriend broke up with me because I didn't wear lipstick - is that stupid?

My boyfriend broke up with me 3 weeks ago. He reached out to me a few times blah blah. Finally, I had enough of letting it slide and asked the real reason why he broke up with me (As I knew the one he had given me was BS)

Then he exploded and said he was the only one who put effort into our relationship and I did nothing to make him happy. He asked me to wear lipstick before we broke up and I didn t wear any. So apparently that pissed him off enough so he left me...

710

Most Helpful Guy

• He didn't break up with you because you didn't wear lipstick.

He broke up with you because he felt like you made no effort to do things to please him. The lipstick was a specific example.

Whether he's a controlling ass who can't compromise, or whether you actually did nothing, we can't say.

Most Helpful Girl

• At first, I really though it was about a lipstick but you answered your own question with "said he was the only one who put effort into our relationship and I did nothing to make him happy."
    Lipstick is just a stupid trigger. This was obviously about way more than that and you do understand it.

What Guys Said 9

• What a feminine dude XD like really I would rather have a legit girl than a barbie girl. Honestly I give you props for not going lipstic crazy.

Honestly you should do the classic lipstick last message as a pun. What a jerk.

• As long as a girlfriend is there is way more important than the make up. It's the commitment and blowing up over lipstick is a stupid af reason.

• He just felt like you were not doing enough. And the simple act of putting on some lipstick already was to much to ask from you. And that was just the last drop

• You obviously weren't putting in as much effort as him, no hidden message here. YOU messed it up by not really caring.

• He didn't leave you because you refused to wear lip stick... it may have been the straw that broke the camels back... but your lack of effort is why he left you

• Good riddance I say.

• Lip stick bullshit just an excuse. He ain't worth the trouble my friend. He very easy up set guy with issues

• Sounds to me just like a stupid excuse or maybe just a small part of why he left. And if he's that shallow that he left you for that reason alone then I think your better off anyway.

• That'd be cool with me, I hate it.

• Sounds like the last straw that broke the camel's back.

What Girls Said 6

• Yeah, I think it's pretty stupid.

At the same time, if he didn't feel like you were putting in any effort when you were and/or you were too comfortable in the relationship, he's probably not the kind of person that you want in your life.

• Meh.

I am sure that was simply the straw that broke the camel's back.

Clearly this was a long time in coming and when you didn't even give his simple request a second thought, he understood that you were not in the relationship for him, but rather, yourself.

:\

• yup its stupid but it sound more like an excuse

• Lame. What was his OTHER BS excuse.

• That I'm vegan and I have nothing in common with him, even though he had said that he always wanted to be with me.

• Weak Excuses and quite frankly a pretty shallow guy. Let him go.

• Fair enough if he felt like I didn't do enough, but why lie about the reason you broke up? Then admit it weeks later and get upset? Flakey

• That's ridiculous! He sounds like a melt !

• Yup, it's stupid