How do you get over a breakup with someone you still love?

My fiancée and I love each other, but we are just not compatible in certain, very important ways. She is very religious. I'm not. I tried, but I'm just not a guy who can be the good, Catholic man she wants me to be.

She told me that she would wait for me, which made me feel even worse... How can I cope with this?

This was the first serious, long term relationship for both of us, and we were planning on getting married later this year...

811

Most Helpful Girl

• How, SPECIFICALLY, is this schism affecting yr relationship?

Is this an argument about potentially raising children one day? If that's what it is, then I could see that becoming a legitimate issue.
    If it's anything else, then, honestly, you two should be able to get over it.

I am Catholic -- I go to Latin Mass every week -- but, at the end of the day, religion is a private conversation between me and God. My husband generally doesn't go to Mass with me, but, we have a mutual understanding there, and we see eye-to-eye on the role of religion (and/or lack thereof) in raising our children.
    I mean, our love is our love, and there's just no way I could see that sort of thing overcoming it.

So, yeah... SPECIFICS?
    What VERY SPECIFICALLY is getting in the way here?

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • I am an artist. I don't believe that the human body is sinful. She feels that it should only be seen by a spouse.

She called my art superficial. My art is my life. It's my creative outlet, and my gift from God.

We want children, but I know that I can't afford it right now on one salary. I'm most likely infertile, anyways, and adopting is very expensive.

I also struggle with chastity (masturbation).

Every one of my closest confidants (people I trust) have told me that there are red flags all over regarding our compatibility... I've been sweeping my doubts under the rug for months, but I don't know if I can change who I am for her...

• I get you, but... Love is meeting in the middle.
      Not meeting at the point where one person is already standing.

Whether she's willing to compromise, here, will tell you absolutely everything you need to know about the long-term potential of this relationship.

If you are the one doing ALL the compromising, then, not only will you be unhappy -- as you've already realized -- but, SHE will also be unhappy.
      Absolutely no woman in the world actually WANTS a man who capitulates to all of her demands. No woman in the whole wide world. If that happens, then -- as little as she may realize it at this point -- she'll lose a whole lot of respect for you, at least subconsciously.

• The way to stop struggling with masturbation is to stop struggling. It's perfectly normal human behavior, like eating and sleeping.

Most Helpful Guy

• Sorry, if she is determined to marry a Catholic, then you have to break up. You are fundamentally incompatible. Her notion of waiting for you is romantic but unrealistic. People don't just decide to be religious or non-religious. Most non-religious people have considered the evidence for god and found it unpersuasive. Do not marry this woman. You will end up living a pretend life. Find a woman who shares your non-religious viewpoint.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • I am Catholic, too, but I wasn't raised that way, and it's starting to drag me down. I'm becoming more spiritual and less "organized religion"...