Why do guys want to remain friends after they break up with you?

Ok, so yesterday I went to school (college) to take my last test before spring break started. Well after I finished I left. Called my on again off again boyfriend of 3 years to let him know I was done and headed back home. He asked how the test went so on and so forth. Well he eventually tells me he had some news for me. So I assumed he got the job he put in for. Well he tells me he is leaving me and has his bags packed and was fixing to leave the house. Then asked if we could remain friends. I told him this was his choice, it's what he wanted, because I was done as well and hung up on him. Before I would hang up and blow his phone up wanting to work things out. This time I just hung up and left it at that. Did I make the right choice? Why did he want to be friends? Is there any hope of him coming back?

Most Helpful Guy

• Well he is an "off and on again" boyfriend so as long as you two are not with other people the door is always open for a return.

Most Helpful Girl

• It's just a way of them wanting to end things on a relatively good term but it's never the smartest. You did a great choice and still have your dignity sometimes when people want to leave you just have to let them.

What Guys Said 3

• Yes, may be he hopes that he can come back into your life if he remains friends with you, because that way he will still be a part of your life. However I can't say for sure, it's just one possibility.

• Simply put they just say that probably so they can ease the burden of making you feel completely rejected. And so they can avoid more 'drama' if you think it's all over.

• You're his backup girl. Ignore him.

What Girls Said 0