How long do people wait after a break up to be with someone new and not be considered a rebound relationship?

Most Helpful Guy

• A good rule of thumb I've heard and used is one week for every month you were together up to three months waiting. It's important, IMHO, that you find yourself comfortable being alone without being lonely. Go back into the field when you're not feeling desperate. Losing a close relationship is something we need to grieve and not doing so almost inevitably leads to bad decisions about the next one.

Most Helpful Girl

• Until you meet the one. :) And no I'm not talking about "the forever and ever love of your life" but the one who's going to replace him. It's gonna happened when you least expect it. When my ex and I broke up after a 4 year relationship (I was the dumpee and it was out of the blue) I was dying. I wanted to end my life. It was THE worst year of my life. I couldn't get him out of my head for a year, was constantly thinking about him and the break up and how to get him back. Being with someone else was unimaginable, like no way! I tried, but yep I failed. I dated few guys and they were okay, it's just that they weren't my ex. And for a long time I thought the problem is me, that I just can't get over him, no matter who I date it could be a Bread Pitt and I wouldn't feel it. Until I met my current boyfriend. It was when I least expected it, after 13 months from the break up. I don't know how, he just had something, that some kind of invisible chain that connect me with him. The very next day, I knew I was over my ex. I felt different. I didn't even kissed my boyfriend yet but still I felt a strong connection to him. I just knew. So, it's not you and it's not other guys either, it's just the timing and that explainable attraction/desire you start to feel towards someone. He is definitely not a rebound, but those other guys before him were. So, you will know it too. :)

What Guys Said 7

• The motives, not the time, dictate whether someone is seeking a rebound relationship.

If you ask someone out shortly after breaking up with another person, and only because you miss having someone, you're probably going for a rebound relationship.
    If you end a relationship because you have a stronger connection with someone else, then it probably isn't a rebound relationship.

• women start new relationship easier I believe.

• a few weeks mostly

• After bottoms up one vodka and rum and gin punch.

• maybe a month

• Depends if you got dumped or dumpee and if you saw it coming.

If its out of the blue and you're heartbroken, I don't know, a bit.

If you were in a long relationship and it had been dying, by the time it ends, you may have emotionally moved on well before it officially ends.

• when ever u get over ur ex obviously

What Girls Said 2

• To me when I am 100% move on then I will start to open my door to other guys. Usually it takes a few months.

• why do you care? just have fun!