If your partner cheated on you would you forgive him/her or break up?

How forgiving are you , would you give them another chance, and try and make it work if you have spent a lot of time in the relationship, and are emotinally invested, or would you break it off.

• Forgive
  • Breakup
Select a gender to cast your vote:

149

Most Helpful Girl

• I cheated, and I never plan on doing it again. I did it in the beginning of a relationship because I was unsure as to whether or not he was right for me, and if I could trust him. He hungout with a lot of girls and when he went out on the weekends he was hard to get a hold of. Cheating made me realize that WHY somebody cheats is an important factor to acknowledge. I felt like I was just beating him to the chase, and my insecurity led to the behavior. There are also people that go into a relationship knowing they will cheat, and are more concerned with developing good ways of being able to cover this up, and that is truly wrong.

But, I don't think I would still be able to stay with someone if I found out that they cheated on me. Things just wouldn't be the same because I would have to deal with that fear of them cheating. I think if somebody cheats, and they realize it is wrong that it is best just not to tell there partner. If they do it once, and still have an increased desire to do it again they need to just take a break from their relationship and evaluate why they feel the need to cheat. Cheating is devestating to the well-being of the person that is effected, and can have a huge effect on their self-confidence and faith in the idea of trust in later relationships. I have been cheated on, and it made me super fearful. Look at me now, I did it partly because I assumed he would.

What Girls Said 13

• If a man is willing to have intimacy with another woman, then he isn't for me. When I am in a committed relationship, I don't want to be with anyone else. Relationships are all about trust. When you sleep with someone else you aren't just betraying your significant other, you are putting them at risk for STDs. I dated a man who I was in love with and he fooled around on the side once or twice. When I found out I was devistated. Completely heartbroken. I took him back because I loved him, but his on the side fling came up pregnant just as I thought our relationship might survive. It was like twisting a knife in my heart. He still wanted me, but I cut him off cold turkey. Now over a year and a half later I'll get an occational email from him and I don't answer it. I can't. How could he have loved me and done what he did with her? My mind just can't comprehend it and I'm worth more than that. Cheating is wrong, and if you are willing the cheat, be prepared to loose a really good thing.

• I would break up and not look back. I will make it fair and say sometime in the beginning, I do not forgive cheating. I haven't cheated on anyone but have been cheated on. he had the conscious thought he wanted to try a new flavor that time or have sex with another woman, what else is there to talk about? I'd say there is nothing. I need someone I can trust.

• this happened and I forgave him like an idiot, lesson learned, if anyone else ever cheats on me it's done. Even when you forgive someone for cheating, the relationship just goes downhill fast afterward. I didn't trust him so I was always checking up on him, anytime he didn't answer his phone I got suspicious. He was trying to prove himself to me by calling as soon as he got off of work and wanting to stay on the phone till he went to bed (four hour phone convos every night are not so fun).

• my boyfriend cheated on me and I forgive him but that's only because I didn't want to lose something wonderful as what he had. we've been going out for over 2 years, but things has changed & I've become more serious about almost everything and insecure about everything. we're working on getting our relationship back to normal and for the most part, it's working.

• Well it depends. If it was just a simple kiss I would forgive him. But if he slept with someone else I probably wouldn't unless I knew for sure he would never do that to me again and that he was sorry and if we had been in that relationship for a while. And it would kind of depend on who it was he cheated on me with. Like if it was my sister I wouldn't talk to him again but if it was like just someone he doesn't really know then I might consider taking him back

• My boyfriend cheated on me once and I broke things off because once that trust is broken,it's broken! Relationships are based on many things and one of its trust and if you don't got that then you basically got nothing but a friend with benefits. And the thing is, people know what they are getting themselves into but they never think about the consequences ahead of time. :/

• hell YES I'd break it OFF. I'd want to break something ELSE off too. & the face of the girl(s) he was with instead of ME. whoa, no mo.

• I would break up with them cause I would never be fully confident that they wouldn't do it again.

• it depends how long you been with this person but personalty I would break up with him and move on

• I would have to break it off because if they truly cared about you and were invested as you then their mess up shouldn't have happened.

• I say forgive, IF you can talk it out and find out why they wanted to cheat and can find a way to fix the problem that made them do it. IMO if you break up, sleep with others, and get back together later, it's no different than cheating. You still had sex with other people and still have feelings you still took them back.

• breakup no questions asked

• Vote C as in "Other." Honestly,I believe everyone deserves a second chance.But if you think about it,it depends on how strong the relationship is and how serious the cheating is.For example,if I was in a relationship and my boyfriend cheated on me with my bestfriend,chances are I'm not going to forgive him...or her.Again,it depends.

• And just to put it out there,would you forgive Tiger Woods?I certainly wouldn't because that's too high of a number of infidelities.

• Do you realize how much money he gave her to say she forgives him? she's just in it for the money right now lol

• Wow.Where did you hear that from?lol.

What Guys Said 9

• I voted breakup. Reason being nothing is ever the same after someone cheats. The trust is broken. Even if the other person says they forgive them they still bring it up in arguments. There is always resentment and it basically drives a wedge between the couple so things are never the way there were.

• depends on how badly they cheated. if they went all the way with someone else I would prob break it off but if it was a kiss or somethin and they feel bad and actually admit to it then they get a 2nd chance. if it happens twice then they are gone tho.

• "...depends on how badly they cheated." - -That's exactly what I meant.Also,along with the second chance.Good answer. +1

• i voted to breakup, only because if it was anything like a kiss or something, I'd give them a sh*t storm for it. but yeah, anything more and they were lying to me saying "I love YOU", I don't have that kind of time to waste..

• I'm a pretty forgiving person as long as I've got something to work with.

• Breakup, I believe in once a cheater always a cheater

• First time forgive (if they tell you and its not you finding out), second time kick their ass to the curb

• I believe in polyamory so forgiveness wouldn't be necessary

• tired of whores

• From experience...forgiveness doesn't work...to many trust issues and anger and resentments...move on and move up.