How long did it take you to get over your last ex?

I broke up with my ex 7 months ago, we were together for almost 4 years, and I still find myself going through his pictures, crying every now and then, I check his profile pics too (now he has one of a girl kissing him), and he is still in many of my thoughts, and even at times I catch myself telling myself I miss him, I know I'm not completely over him (well obvious), but I think i miss what we had more than what I miss him, since I'd love to have what I had with him with someone else, though I'd never go back with him.
So how long did it take you? Wanna share your story?
  • Weeks
    Vote A
  • Months (1-3)
    Vote B
  • Months (4-6)
    Vote C
  • Months (8-10)
    Vote D
  • A year
    Vote E
  • More than a year
    Vote F
  • Still haven't
    Vote G
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Honestly, this is going to sound kinda inhumane but I can get over people like freakishly fast. I mean at my age and with how much I've dated, I have a good poison pill method to detach emotionally like really quickly.

1|1
    0|0
    • Ditto , we men HAVE to develop a hard heart , no one gives a fuck about us , so we sort ourselves out. Being ex ( British ) Army helps , as you develop strong character. Upvoted !!

• @FatherJack Brother, dead fucking on, 100%. At the end of the day, no one in the world gives a shit about you so you have to just conquer life on your own!

• @ConsultantsBack please show me that method! lol I wish I was over my ex already

Most Helpful Girl

• He was a good boyfriend and everything I wanted in a guy, but he grew distant from me and I knew he was going to college outside the county, so I'm the one who broke up with him. And he sort of put me in the friend zone in the end of the relationship, so that wasn't going to last long. I was highly upset but I saw the warning signs and I cut him off to make the pain less and to let him worry about himself and his education. We both acknowledged this and just parted ways.

2|0
    0|0
    • Im sorry to hear, did you manage to get over him already? and if you have, how long did it take you?

• I already have and it took me the first month of summer. I tried to not let it show that it bothered me but I wept at night for the loss of him, but I wiped my tears away and reminded myself that it was meant to be this way.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 5

• Call me a cynic & hard hearted , but I NEVER fall that deeply for anyone , men especially have to protect themselves , of anything bad happens , we are on our own , we don't have the close friendships & well developed support networks that you ladies do. I always thought most women got over guys in double quick time ( women have more options than men) Correct me if I'm wrong , ladies !!

2|0
    0|0
    • Well I don't know about the rest of the ladies, but for me I believe when it comes to emotions, deep down everyone is the same, yeah there are a few differences, but every human beings have the same needs when it comes to emotions, and this is my final project for uni, so I really know what Im talking about, I believe everyone needs to protect themselves, that isn't just a guys thing, I don't have close relationships, I don't have well developed support networks, Im on my own in a foreign country, so if Im down or something bad happened to me I just need to tough it up, because I'm alone, I had to learn to take care of my own in every way, and getting over someone I think is very relative and that no sex gets over someone quicker than the other sex, it depends how the person is, how was their relationship, how long they were together, etc...

• sorry a bit too long xD

• Thanks for your feedback , lived solo in the Netherlands , but only for a short while , my son was a baby & I missed him , now a hulking 12 year old !!! Good response , yes agree it the individual REGARDLESS of gender , female soldiers are tough too , a lot of people HAVE to harden up , like a Muay Thai fighter conditioning their shins , it will hurt , but it has to be done.
      Does sound like you are toughening up to me , getting it off your chest here probably helped.

• Time doesn't always heal wounds, it's a struggle sometimes to control your thoughts. Surround yourself at times of weakness with those who love you, try to allow yourself to feel the feelings that come over you don't fight it, cry, scream, run, punching bags work great but don't fight it and sooner then you think those waves of feelings become less impact full and less frequent. Good Luck!!!

1|0
    0|0
    • I don't fight it, but I feel like my feelings are taking over my life, it's gotten to a really bad point, and I'm far away from all my loved ones, so I always feel very lonely, I don't have anyone here really, no one I can go talk to if I'm feeling down or someone to hold me when Im feeling weak, and thanks :)

• We split in September, I fell in love with my wife in December.

1|0
    0|0
    • Well that isn't too bad, how many years have you been married?

• we met in 67, married in 71 and we're still happy together :)

• Wow, that's a really long time, congrats!

• It took me years because we were together for many years and went through a lot together

1|0
    0|0
    • I feel the same way with my ex, he was my first true love, I don't know when things started getting so bad, thanks for your answer :)

• You are very welcome

• You left out a choice (Don't have any exes).

0|0
    0|0
    • Well this question and poll is about how long it took people to get over their exes, so the opinion of someone who doesn't have an ex isn't very relevant here, plus there was no more spaces in the poll, not that I wanted that option either

• Fair enough. They only let you get 7? Bummer.

What Girls Said 9

• The last guy I dated was crazy. Glad to say I was over him immediately (but we didn't date very long anyways). Been with my current boyfriend for over 3 years and if we broke up I'd be devastated.. but luckily, it doesn't seem like that's going to happen.

1|0
    0|0
  • I got over mine it took me about 5-6 months to get over my last ex. My last ex was my first love. It was hard but I did it.

1|0
    0|0
  • It depends on who it was and how the relationship was. I have done most of the dumping and while it hurt for a few hours or days in the end it was the right move because some people are not boyfriend or girlfriend material.

0|0
    0|0
  • It was sad to have to end my first love of a year, I'd say a good 2 months passed before I felt free again (:

1|0
    0|0
  • It took me about half year to. The way we ended was... difficult.

1|0
    0|0
  • Still haven't

1|0
    0|0
    • When did you guys break up? if you don't mind me asking

• Show All
    • Awww Im sorry, so it's pretty recent, do you still wanna get back with him?

• Yes. But I don't know if he wants the same

• About a week. It doesn't take me long.

1|0
    0|0
  • 8 year Marriage took a year to get over.
    Ex boyfriend 1 1/2.. He broke up with me around March. Things had to be return, some closure. Hung out here and there. I m happier now... So took about 2 weeks to get over him.
    He now keep contacting me. I don't know what to do.

1|0
    0|0
    • I guess you could just ignore him? My ex and I kept contacting each other but it wasn't a good idea at all, since he thought I wanted to get back with him and it just caused even more trouble

• Show All
    • There were too many issues in our relationship, and we both fucked up badly, and we have no contact, I cut him out of my life completely, and yes I've keps myself busy, gone on dates, I even have a friends with benefits, but my ex still haunts me, and yeah you seem like you're really over your ex lol and what am I doing? Well I don't have him in any social network, I have no contact, I've been seeing other guys, I try keeping myself busy, I don't know what else xD

• thank you so much for mho :)
      how are things going?

• I dated him for a year (on and off) and got over him within 4 months the first time we broke up, and 2 weeks the second time.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes