Why would someone pretend to like someone?

Anonymous
My crush is a liitle intimate on email, but very distant in person. In email, we have long conversations between each other and she says she like me. In person, she only wants to talk to me with a 3rd party involved and even then, it is mostly a conversation between them. I think she was pretending to like me for some reason. I asked her this and she said "should I be? If you truly believe that, then I would persuade you otherwise." Eventually I got her to say she was pretending to like me. I asked why and she said: " to get a close friend". In the past, we flirted a lot, and furthermore whenever I would doubt about our future, she would fight for me like I was the most important thing to her. Now she says she never liked me. The worst part is that I believe her, but I don't buy that reasoning at all. I have been thinking about it all the time, and it has brought me so much pain. She know this, but whenever I would ask about the past, she would completely ignore it. Please I need to know. Why would someone pretend to like someone?
+1 y
I guess "lie" would be a better word than pretend in this case. Anyone have any ideas?
6
0