How am I supposed to get over my first love? Does it go away? What do you do?

Horizons14
It's been 7 months since our break up. He hasn't contacted me in any shape or form and he has refused to give me closure. The break up was confusing and he really just broke my heart. I've somewhat made progress in trying to make myself whole again and finding my own closure, but I find that it hits me in waves of how sad I am about the way things ended and the way he treated me afterwards. It hurts so much and I just don't understand. I've asked people how to move on and they say for me to just let go. How am I supposed to do that? We made each other happy and he just ended things without wanting to work through anything. I don't know what to do with myself. I dream about him everyday, a day hasn't gone by when I haven't thought of him. I just miss him and I don't know how to stop missing him. I keep hoping he will come back to me. How do I accept that the relationship is over?
2
2