Should I get back with my ex, knowing that we both adored each other but we decided to break up because of my painful past?

Anonymous
We broke up about a month ago. It was harder for him than it was for me, but I'm starting to miss him. I didn't want to be in a relationship because of a past heartbreak which he knew about. We had talked about it more than once and, even though he was a bit insistent in putting a label on us, I was terrified of starting something and getting attached. Also, I wanted to keep some freedom that being in a relationship did not let me have (I have lots of guy friends and I hang with them all the time and he was bummed by it). Now, I feel like I'm "emotionally fixed" enough to be with someone. He is perfect to me, I adore him and he really has and is everything I want in a man. I am thinking about asking him if he would give it a try again and go at a slow pace so I don't feel too scared.
My only concern is that I'm afraid that I might actually miss the idea of him and not him, actually. Do you guys know how to make the difference between missing someone and missing their presence in your life?
Should I get back with my ex, knowing that we both adored each other but we decided to break up because of my painful past?
Add Opinion