Anyone ever left someone they loved to protect themselves? How did you cope?

Anonymous
He wasn't a bad guy, was really loving and great when we were together. Just never ever barely made time for me. We went 5 weeks without seeing each other because he was always 'busy' with work and friends, but we don't live very far apart. Both of our previous relationships were with physically abusive, controlling people and we were both scared to end up in that situation again. We would have a great time, then after he would get distant. He would not talk to me or respond to me for days. I would sense the distancing and push him away. He would blame it on having issues from his ex. This last time he did it I broke up with him, over message, because I knew I wouldn't see him anytime soon. He read it, but never replied and I haven't heard from him for 5 days. I felt breaking up was the best option, because the roller coaster ride was getting to be too stressful and bringing up bad memories from exes. I do miss him and love him still and other then these issues we were absolutely perfect together. I'm trying my hardest not to contact him and stay strong. Any advice?
1
4