What IS the most common and main reason for a woman and a man to cheat?

For women, I think it's not feeling desired by her partner and neglected if he doesn't give her attention.

For men, I don't know.

PS: I'm not justifying cheating.

Most Helpful Guy

• Statistically men cheat because they can. No real reason beyond that. I mean there are one offs like where he is not getting it at home. I know that leads a lot of guys to stray, or if the girl he is with is abusive.

I have never personally cheated, and never will. I have wanted to, but it was because i was in a relationship where i was in fear for my life, and the thought of doing anything sexual with her made me want to vomit. But rather than cheating i left her. I was in another relationship 5 years before that where i was getting sex maybe once every three months. It was a huge source of arguments, and eventually i left her. I can't be with someone like that either.

Most Helpful Girl

• I've read somewhere that "women cheat because something in the relationship is lacking while men cheat because there's an opportunity" but honestly I'm not sure if you could really say that so gender specific – I think regardless of the reason or gender, cheaters are assholes and cowards because they didn't have the guts to just break up before they turned to fuck someone else.

What Guys Said 46

• I haven't so I can only state based upon what I've seen.

Being unsatisfied in the relationship and not having their needs met. Those needs could be emotional or physical, but probably emotional. Unsatisfied can be anything that is creating unhealthy stressors so they reach out to someone else to feel good and escape.

The other reason is because they are wounded emotionally and are trying to fill a void their spouse/gf cannot fill.

• I find the one determining factor of both sexes to be low self esteem, not that when they cheat doesn't hurt their significant other, it's that they don't think about that when they do cheat is more about matching how they see themselves as unworthy of a committed relationship. No granted some people with low self esteem, don't cheat it depends on how strong their convictions of loyalty are or if they don't believe in cheating including emotional cheating. These types often start a fight over nothing to break up and then go treat themselves badly with another just to not look bad or hurt another.

• They feel like they are lacking something in their current relationship (physical intimacy, variety, excitement, validation.) Then they either seek out someone or just happen to meet someone who can offer them whatever it is they aren't getting from their partner. (oportunity) And then when faced with that opportunity their desire to cheat overrides their loyalty to their partner.

• the most common reason to betray someone else is because they are bad, selfish, greedy people.
    Even when it comes to being neglected, them sleeping around still makes them bad, selfish, greedy people. Because they refuse to end the relationship first. So they are being a leech on the person they are "committed" to, while actively betraying them.

• For men, its sexual. for women, its like @Mesonfielde said... emotional dissatisfaction...
    sadly, the women side is not addressed as publicly as the male side... stigma... double standard. everyone just looks at the physical...

• Well monopoly can be a bitch. I got park place but lose it on venture ave. How the hell does that happen? Then I roll luxury tax. So I slip a couple of bills from the banker on my left to flush up my stack. I'll have to slip a weighted die in soon or I'll hit that hotel on stupid marvin gardens. If this shit continues I'll upset the whole board. That's right bitches!

• For men I think it has to do with feeling unappreciated. Men when they go to work and make a lot of sacrifices for the family feel like they need to be appreciated, have their sacrifices known. When a woman does not take notice or acts as if they do not matter, he cheats because he feels alienated.

• Well the experts tell us when someone cheats it's because they're not getting something that they need in their relationship. Now I can't really speak to it because I've never cheated on anyone and the one person that cheated on me got tossed to the curb so fast no explanation was possible. I just kind of look at it like this they're not getting something that they think they need and they don't have the fortitude of character to ask for it or leave properly and find it somewhere else so they instead to choose to cheat.

• Men - Woman doesn't put out anymore

Woman - Lack of attention from her man. Example He stops being romantic and flirting with her.

• Cheating is just plain wrong.. but what the main reason it happening is, both have lost the spark for one another.. and then maybe the lies started.. those two things will end a relationship.. very fast

• Emotional / physical dissatisfaction, of course.

• For woman, I guess once she see a better man then his own one,
    better muscules, money, they open they're legs and here it is.
    Or let's say if he is famous or have better body and size of p... s so
    they would feel satisfied.
    Stupid think in this life is cheating, because while thinking for your own happiness, you hurt the other people.

• I honesly think, that there are many reasons, but society usually boils it down to:

men are perverts that need sex
    while women are neglected by their man.

often it leads back to the man's fault.

• Neglect, revenge, lack of sexual pleasure, pissed or angry at their partner, being immature and a child etc.

• Yes I agree with what you said about women

Men are pussies and stupid. A they don't have the balls to break up or bring it up or they think they can get away with it.

• I think for woman it's the need to feel wanted and desired for men it's sex.

To put it simply women it's emotional men it's physical. Obviously there are objectons to the rule but for the most part this theory works.

• For both i'd say its not being sexually satisfied. The reasons of that can vary of course.

• misunderstanding between them, immaturity, and not enough love between them.

• Emotional disconnection.
    Men, usually because of their girlfriend becoming a bitch.
    same
    same

• lol bitch is a bit...

lol seriously?

• no but

people sometimes have problems and lfe changes them

doesn't mean they deserve the bitch title

• @HookingSwan If its their general behavior then that is the way most of society will view it. Yes something happened to put them in that position, or they changed.

• If i had to guess i would say they either weren't happy with their current relationship or they were bored with it and wanted some drama

• there are 2 types of cheating there is Cheating because that dude is hot and you can.
    and there is the feeling like your relationship is dead so you cheat.

• Because she got unattractive physically/sexually.

• Can't describe in few words.
    Some just want temporary relationship. some want better than other one comparing.

• Boredom.

• Men - > bigger boobs.

• in general for both: discontent

• why does anyone cheat? the person their cheating with is giving them something their partner either cannot or is not willing to give.

• Attention and jealousy and too much freedom.

• Men they are horny.

• That's the same reasons I could come up with honestly.

• More from Guys
    16

2 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 16

• For both, I think it could be the attention depending on the age group of course and how long they've been in their relationship. Women tend to cheat when they're not getting attention from their partners, or just want to. I feel it go both ways though, it's a selfish act and really has very little to do with the other person I think.

• Losing hope. I have never cheated so this is not from personal experience

• The most common reason for a married couple to cheat is that sex is a barometer of their relationship. It is the relationship that's going downhill if a married couple cheats on each other.
    If it's just a dating situation it is because they are not committed

• I found this on my Facebook lol
    https://i.imgur.com/LSI5u7J.jpg

As for women: Not feeling wanted or needed, not enough affection, not enough love, not satisfied and the thrill.
    Cheating is so pointless though.

• He's not getting any, so he's gone elsewhere for it. Rushed into a relationship, then decided he doesn't want to settle down yet.

• Neglect.

• Commitment issues or finds someone better

• I believe for both it is either trust issues going along with communication issues.

• I think it's when one loses attraction for the other. It applies for both male and female. I've heard people cheat for revenge quite often too.

• getting bored

• It's a common symptom of bipolar disorder.

• Both: the relationship has weaknesses and instead of either breaking up or fixing them, they want the best of both worlds - security and new options. Cheaters are selfish.

• Some cheat for emotional reasons.
    Some cheat for carnal reasons.
    In both cases, the cheater feels unfulfilled so they cheat.
    Why they don't just leave their partner is beyond me.
    Maybe they lie because they don't want to hurt their partner,
    maybe they lie because it's convenient..."we're married, it would ruin our family"
    maybe they lie because deceit turns them on and they hate their significant other.

Several reasons. I don't think all women who cheat do it for emotional reasons. Some are just cold hearted and enjoy the act of sex more than anything else.

• I had a male friend tell me once that the reason he cheated on his SO was because the girl he met was irresistible and he had to sleep with her.
    Maybe sometimes it's that simple

• Women : Not feeling wanted
    Men : Fear of commitment

• Women: emotional
    Men: physical

• It's not like men can't give themselves orgasms.

Ultimately its emotional for both.