Getting over your first love?

Anonymous
My ex boyfriend was my first serious relationship and was also one of my good friends for a year before we started dating and we were together for two years. He was my first love and for a long time I considered him the love of my life, and he was my first real heartbreak. We broke up a year ago and while I'm at a much more stable place than I was even 6 months ago, it's still something I struggle with. Everything still reminds me of him and I worry that I can't go out with friends or even on a date with somebody anywhere cause it'll just remind me of him and make me sad. I've gotten to the point now where I can see how our breakup was for the best and how us getting back together is not an option, but I still find myself apprehensive to date other people. I don't know if I just haven't let go of him completely, or if I'm just scared to put myself out there and risk heartbreak again. They say your first love is the hardest to get over, but I haven't had or given myself a lot of resources to cope and heal other than time. What else can I do to let go?
Getting over your first love?
Add Opinion