Is this actually considered emotional abuse, or was he just a jerk?

megankxthleen

At 17, I met a 24 year old guy on Facebook who was friends with one of my friends' boyfriend's. He sent me a message & we started talking. He worked as a female youth detention counselor & was VERY nice & professional. I've always been mature for my age, never had a boyfriend before this, & he obviously seemed a lot more mature than guys my age. About 2 weeks in, he became a little more flirty & as innocent as I was, I didn't think much of it. I started flirting back & I never saw how disrespectful he was being. 2 months in, he was texting me non-stop. My friends thought it was odd, but again I didn't think much of it. He was moving out of his dad's house on Christmas & wanted me to help him, but considering I was with family, I couldn't & we got in a big fight. He invited me to a NYE party with his friends - which made me uncomfortable - & I told him my sister & I had already made plans & he freaked out & said to "just ******* come." My dad was in the hospital one night & bc I didn't want to leave my dad he didn't talk to me for days & blamed me for not being good enough. I actually started lying to my parents about what was going on as he already didn't want me hanging out with family & made himself look like the victim. My dad called him seeing as he'd blocked half of my family on Facebook & how stressed I was, & Chris got very defensive, saying "She's 17 - do you know the law? There's nothing you can do about it."
+1 y
My parents finally got through to me & made me realize how bad of a situation this was. I felt like I ruined his life after he lost his job, & my parents filed a retraining order & put me in counseling. Two years later, I don't really know what to think. I've been noticing how much of that time I'd blocked out, & still feel incredibly stupid at times for getting involved with him. My counselor has categorized it as emotional abuse, but I don't really like to think of it as that.
+1 y
When I say "mature," I meant that I never got involved with meaningless relationships and kept a lot to myself, so I wasn't someone experienced with anything like this - I never even had a boyfriend before this because I just didn't care to and wanted to focus on school. I think that's why I'm so disappointed in myself and don't know why I even bothered with him of all people.
2
4