My boyfriend of one amazing year told me he doesn't want a girlfriend anymore?

When my boyfriend and I started dating 1 year ago, we quickly fell madly in love, and the honeymoon stage lasted awhile. I was entering my senior year of college and he was going to be a junior. Things went well all yr, everyone who knew us saw how in love we were and always made comments about how good we were together. We were BEST friends and did everything together, we were rarely apart. He recently started hanging out with a different group of friends, of which most of the guys are single and total jerks. My boyfriend NEVER treated me badly.He always went out of his way to make me happy and we always compromised on issues we disagreed on. He is a total gentleman and has a good head on his shoulders. About a month ago, he started putting his friends before me and we started to fight about dumb things, usually when one or both of us was drunk. Each time we fought we made up and said we didn't want to break up and both wanted to work on our problems. The day after I graduated, we got in another argument, and he said he needed space. He said he didn't think our relationship was working right now and he wanted to spend some time apart. I tried to give him his space, but it hurt so much and I called him after a few days. We agreed to meet a couple days after I called him, and that night he officially ended things, saying he doesn't want a girlfriend right now, but maybe we can be together in the future. When he said that, he said it like he didn't know me, and it seemed like he completely shut off everything we were in his mind. It wasn't the guy I fell in love with, the guy who would never act so cold and distant like this guy was. I am completely heartbroken, I didn't see this break up coming at all. He said we can still talk and see each other, but I know I don't want to put myself through that, I don't think I can just be friends with him. Its been a few days since the official break up, and I'm going out of my mind. I want my boyfriend back, I want him to realize what he gave up. Please help me with some insight as to what might be going on in his mind!
2
2