My ex says that he isn't good enough for me, but acts as if he wants me back?

Anonymous
Two weeks ago my ex (19 y. o) and I (18 y. o) broke up but without any word. we simply stopped talking without any apparent reason. i tried calling a couple times but he didn't answer. a few days later he talked with my best friend, who was also a friend of his, telling her that he didn't see himself as good enough for me and that I deserved better because I was an awesome girl etc and that he also needed some space because we see each other too often as we are in the same university..
i understood that he probably only wanted to end the relationship in a way where he wasn't the bad guy so I just tried forgetting about him and move on.
but the problem is that after this he started texting another one of my close girl friends saying things like "did she forget me? she is an awesome girl take care of her.."
her:" what about you, did you get over her?"
him:"honestly no"
her:"well then what are you waiting for? you should get her back"
him:"i'm not good enough for her, she deserves better"
when she asked why he told her that he'll explain that later. besides all this, all of my friends keep telling me to go talk to him because he is way too depressed and started smoking (he quit when we were together) and that I needed to do something because he is always looking at me with sad eyes from afar whenever i'm smiling or laughing with friends. but i really don't know what I am supposed to do because he was the one that stopped answering my texts and phone calls at that moment. any explanations?
0
1