Help! BU was confusing and were still in contact but im not sure about possibilities?

I really still don't understand our breakup and think there is anofther shot worth taking but i need to express how I feel and tell him and see what is up. He basically fell into depression and closed off for awhile. After that he told me he felt like we were not connecting and was not feeling what he thought he maybe should have been. I dont get this because before this happened we were great together. we explored places connected on all levels, had good conversations got along great and had a lot in common along with other things. It just sort of came as a shock to me. I don't know why but in a sense I believe maybe he doesn't know what he wants in life and was struggling with the hardships he was brought on who knows. I just dont get how one day you go from saying I <3 you to breakup. We were good for each other and everyone saw it. Everyone said we completed each other and would be together for a long time. Since the bu he has been initiating contact and sometimes more than once. I have sometimes too. We had sex 2x ( i know bad move) but are still in contact eventhough sometimes he wants to hang and watch movies and its late at night. Has guys ever not known what they wanted while in a relationship with a girl possibly broken it off and fot back together with them after some time? I think I just have to talk with him because I still feel deeply for him and feel like we gave up on something and something could continue but I don't know. I also just dont want to be used if that incase turns into that either.

20